We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Solar Water Heating - Glycol

• Chase.Pheifer
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2022 17:27 #10653 by Chase.Pheifer
Solar Water Heating - Glycol was created by Chase.Pheifer
Hi Paul,

When glycol is selected in the SWH model, does the model use a 50/50 glycol/water solution, or is it a pure glycol solution?

Thanks, 
Chase P.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
04 Mar 2022 23:52 #10655 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Solar Water Heating - Glycol
Hi Chase,

The working fluid option sets the value of the working fluid specific heat, which you can see in the code here: github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/d349a139d22e15396a6c99dbd7f9153f2d9b3a66/ssc/cmod_swh.cpp#L239.

Based on this table from engineeringtoolbox.com, if we assume that the Cp values of water and glycol are at 40 degrees Celsius, the value of 3400 J/Kg-K seems to be a mixture of about 50%: www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

Best regards,
Paul.

• Chase.Pheifer
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2022 17:37 #10676 by Chase.Pheifer
Replied by Chase.Pheifer on topic Solar Water Heating - Glycol
Paul,

I appreciate all the questions you've answered for my team and I. I'm guessing you haven't gotten a lot of questions on the Solar Water Heating model recently, so thanks for taking the time to respond to ours.

Chase P.

• Chase.Pheifer
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2022 20:58 #10707 by Chase.Pheifer
Replied by Chase.Pheifer on topic Solar Water Heating - Glycol
Paul,

If I desired to change the cp value for glycol, how would I edit the SWH code and run it in SAM? I've tried looking into the help material about the SDK, but I can't quite figure out how to load, edit, ad run the code from the github link you shared.

Thanks,
Chase

• pgilman
More
19 Mar 2022 00:42 #10708 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Solar Water Heating - Glycol
Hi Chase,

I showed the code so you could see where the value it set and what the value is.

In order to make changes to the code, you would need to build your own version of SAM from the four repositories as described in the SAM repository wiki:

github.com/NREL/SAM/wiki

The build process is very involved, so if you want to go that route, be prepared to spend a lot of time getting things working before you can start modifying code.

The SDK allows you to set the values of inputs, run simulations, and read the values of outputs of SAM simulation modules, but it does not provide access to the underlying code.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman