We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

IPH linear direct steam model inputs do not correspond to the help guide

• andrea_absolicon
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2022 09:33 #10632 by andrea_absolicon
Hi!
I am new to SAM so I am using the help guide to set up a model of a fresnel solar field for heat production.
I am using the desktop version of SAM.
According to the help guide in the system design module I should be able to specify both inlet and outlet temperature, but in the program interface there's only the field of the inlet temperature.
Given that you also need to specify the steam quality, I assume that the outlet temperature is the saturation temperature at the pressure calculated from the pressure specified in the heat sinkĀ  inlet pressure field and the pressure losses. Am I right? If so, is there an alternative way to model a fresnel solar field producing heat as pressurized hot water instead of saturated steam?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
01 Mar 2022 18:35 #10636 by pgilman
Hi Andrea,

That is a mistake in the Help topic for the IPH Linear Direct Steam model. There is no field outlet temperature input variable on the System Design page. I will revise that topic for the next software update.

SAM assumes that the steam quality is two-phase at the solar field outlet and completely condensed at the inlet.

You might find the recording of the 2017 webinar on modeling industrial process heat to be helpful. It is listed toward the bottom of the CSP webinars page: sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-videos.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman