We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Error message when defining turbine design characteristics

• Marc F
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2022 15:49 #10476 by Marc F
Hello,

I wanted to define a wind turbine design for a Siemens SWT-6.0-154, as I could not find it in the database.
It works fine until I try to change the "Maximum tip speed" to 88.7 m/s and the "Maximum tip speed ratio" to 6.8. Afterwards I get the following error message and the turbine power curve does not change accordingly:
equation engine: [32]: eval error in statement list\

fail: [wind_turbine_powercurve_windspeeds,wind_turbine_powercurve_powerout,wind_turbine_rated_wind_speed,wind_turbine_powercurve_err_msg,
wind_turbine_powercurve_hub_efficiency] = f( wind.turbine.radio_list_or_design,wind_turbine_powercurve_windspeeds_from_lib,wind_turbine_powercurve_powerout_from_lib,
wind_turbine_kw_rating_from_lib, wind_turbine_kw_rating_input,wind_turbine_rotor_diameter_input,wind_turbine_hub_ht,wind.turbine.elevation,wind_resource_model_choice,wind_turbine_max_cp,
wind.turbine.max_tip_speed, wind.turbine.max_tspeed_ratio,wind_turbine_cutin,wind_turbine_cut_out,wind.turbine.drive_train )
no variables calculated in a single iteration, cannot make progress!
eqn not evaluated: [wind_turbine_powercurve_windspeeds,wind_turbine_powercurve_powerout,wind_turbine_rated_wind_speed,wind_turbine_powercurve_err_msg,wind_turbine_powercurve_hub_efficiency] =
f(wind.turbine.radio_list_or_design,wind_turbine_powercurve_windspeeds_from_lib,wind_turbine_powercurve_powerout_from_lib,wind_turbine_kw_rating_from_lib,wind_turbine_kw_rating_input,
wind_turbine_rotor_diameter_input,wind_turbine_hub_ht,wind.turbine.elevation,wind_resource_model_choice,wind_turbine_max_cp,wind.turbine.max_tip_speed,wind.turbine.max_tspeed_ratio,
wind_turbine_cutin,wind_turbine_cut_out,wind.turbine.drive_train)

I could not find any restrictions for this in the SAM documentation. For a rotor diameter of 154m, a maximum rotor speed of 11rpm and a nominal wind speed of 13m/s, a "Maximum tip speed" of 88.7 m/s and a "Maximum tip speed ratio" of 6.8 should be reasonable.

If you could help me with this problem that would be great.
Thank you and best regards
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
07 Jan 2022 21:26 #10490 by pgilman
Hi Marc,

This is a bug that we will fix for the first update to SAM 2021.12.02, which we hope to release at the end of this month (January 2022). Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/877

Best regards,
Paul.

• Marc F
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2022 08:33 #10554 by Marc F
Hi Paul,

thank you for the quick response.
I am looking forward to the update.

Thanks and best regards,
Marc

Moderators: pgilman