We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Total land area calculation & relationship GCR-CAPEX/Yield

• ClaudioPesenti
  • Topic Author
More
29 Dec 2021 13:29 #10442 by ClaudioPesenti
Dear Sirs,
I would like to exploit SAM functionalities in order to link land cost to GCR: if I know land cost -$/acres- what is the best GCR in order to minimize CAPEX and/or maximize energy yield -thus to minimize LCOE-?.
In System Design section, if I change GCR value, the total estimated land area (blue cell = calculated cell) will not update: it seems the implemented formula is Total estimated land area =Total module area estimate. But in Help I find: Total Land Area (acres) = Total Module Area (m2) ÷ GCR × 0.0002471 acre/m2. I definitely agree with Help, not with software. The only way I can calculate properly Total estimated land area is to force the software by putting Array land area multiplier = 1 / GCR. Am I missing something?
For this reason, when I launch parametric simulations in order to evaluate LCOE (output) by varying GCR (input) I am not sure I will get coherent results (because land cost will not update since total land area will not update). Hopefully I would like to get land cost as output by varying GCR but land cost is not available among implemented outputs.
Thank you
Best regards and happy new year from Italy
Claudio Pesenti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
30 Dec 2021 23:09 #10449 by pgilman
Dear Claudio,

There is a bug in the land area estimate that we will fix for the first update to SAM 2021.12.02:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/826

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman