We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

No revenue generated in Merchant Plant Model

• msohebzaidi
  • Topic Author
More
23 Dec 2021 16:54 #10436 by msohebzaidi
Hi Paul,
Another interesting finding using merchant plant model, I have set up a PV-Batt, merchant model, with DC couple battery system which can only charge from the system. I want the system to dispatch automatically based on the energy market prices ($/MWh) to gain revenue. 

Despite of importing values from cambium and setting the electricity price to "use PPA or market prices", my cash flows no revenue through electricity market.

In my understanding, since I have opted for automated look ahead 18 hours dispatch (DC coupled PV-battery system, cannot charge from grid), the battery will charge when solar in ON during PSH and discharge based on the electricity market prices when its high! There should be some revenue shown....how can it be just 0 throughout ? 

Please help and thanks in advance.

Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
31 Dec 2021 00:07 - 31 Dec 2021 00:07 #10453 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic No revenue generated in Merchant Plant Model
Hi Soheb,

As we have mentioned in previous discussions, the Battery model does not work well with the Merchant plant financial models. We are working to resolve these issues:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/391

Until we find a solution to these problems, if you want to model a PV-battery or Standalone Battery system that responds to time series
market prices, we recommend using the Single Owner financial model  with the "TOD factors by time step" option, which will make it possible to dispatch the battery in response to hourly or subhourly price signals without the problem of cleared capacity.

Also, FYI, we are working on a couple of other issues with the Merchant Plant model:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/846

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/836

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2021 00:07 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman