We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Field Thermal efficiency - Linear Fresnel MS - CSP

• mfrasquet
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2021 20:17 - 14 Dec 2021 00:24 #10382 by mfrasquet
Dear Paul,

Could you please guide me on the physical meaning of the variable "Field thermal efficiency" in the Linear Fresnel Molten Salt model?
Shouldn't the value of this variable be between 0 and 1? Since it is an efficiency, right?

Please find attached a picture of the hourly results in the simulation. Thank you very much!

Miguel
Last edit: 14 Dec 2021 00:24 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
14 Dec 2021 00:38 #10388 by pgilman
Hi Miguel,

Those results seem to indicate something wrong with the inputs. The field thermal power absorbed should be positive, and as you note, the field thermal efficiency should be between zero and one.

Would you mind attaching the .sam file that generated these results?

Best regards,
Paul.

• mfrasquet
  • Topic Author
More
14 Dec 2021 07:34 - 16 Dec 2021 16:39 #10394 by mfrasquet
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer. Please find attached the sam input file. I'm using one specific weather file "Andasol.csv" (you will find it attached too)

You can find values of thermal eff. outside [0,1] also in the default case. The following results were obtained using the deafult model Linear Fresnel with MS - in Dagget (I have also attached the file).
Last edit: 16 Dec 2021 16:39 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
16 Dec 2021 17:02 #10407 by pgilman
Hi Miguel,

I think the problem is with the data in the Andasol.csv file. If you change the weather file in the Andasol_Fresnel case to daggett, the results look more reasonable.

The Andasol.csv weather file has a column for Dew Point Temperature, but the values are all zeros. The table in SAM's Help topic "Weather Data Elements" (under "Weather Data" in the table of contents) shows what weather data is required for the CSP models, including linear Fresnel.

Best regards,
Paul.

• mfrasquet
  • Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2021 18:48 #10439 by mfrasquet
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the answer, I corrected the weather data.  Could you please post the definition of "Field thermal efficiency"? Which is the eq used to calculate this variable? 
Do you know where I can find the definition of the hourly data output variables?  I tried looking in the help and the manual but I cannnot find them. Thanks very much and merry Christmas!  Miguel

• pgilman
More
30 Dec 2021 23:36 #10450 by pgilman
Hi Miguel,

Unfortunately, we do not have a complete list of definitions for all of the CSP hourly outputs in SAM.

You can find publications describing the models here:

sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-publications.html

For the linear Fresnel molten salt model, the field thermal efficiency is very close to field thermal power produced / field thermal power absorbed.

I will ask the CSP team for a more precise definition of the field thermal efficiency.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman