We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

System Design exceeds Inverter Maximum DC current: No Error Message

• patrickbk
  • Topic Author
More
25 Nov 2021 11:23 - 30 Nov 2021 18:22 #10313 by patrickbk
Hello Paul,
I have a the following components:
  • PV Module: Short circuit current (Isc) = 9.81 A
  • Inverter: Maximum DC current = 49.5 Adc
And the following System Design:
  • Number of inverters = 20
  • Strings in parallel in subarray = 120
Calculating the DC current:
  • Total PV: 9.81 A * 120 = 1177 A
  • Total Inverter: 49.5 Adc * 20 = 990 Adc
  • Results: 990 Adc < 1177 A
Hence, my PV output current exceeds the maximum inverter input DC current. But SAM does not show me any error message. Is this on purpose?

My SAM simulation file is attached.
Best,
Patrick
Last edit: 30 Nov 2021 18:22 by patrickbk. Reason: Input mistake in the attached SAM file: The Systen Design uses only one MPPT input but the inverter had two MPPT inputs defined, which results in an error in the simulation. Therefore, the new file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
30 Nov 2021 01:09 #10323 by pgilman
Hi Patrick,

During the simulation, SAM limits the inverter input voltage to the min and max MPPT voltage ratings and its AC output power to the rated AC output power, but does not check the input current.

You can check the short circuit current of each subarray in the outputs to see if it exceeds the rated limit. For example, on the Statistics tab of the Results page after running a simulation, look at the "Max" value of Subarray 1 String short circuit DC current (A).

Best regards,
Paul.

• patrickbk
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2021 18:33 #10329 by patrickbk
Thanks, Paul!

I followed your instruction and Subarray 1 String short circuit DC current (A) = 10.8 A

How is this possible when one module hence one string has a Short circuit current (Isc) = 9.81 A ? I assumed that the Subarray 1 String short circuit DC current (A)should never exceeds 9.81 A, but it does?

In my System Design with 120 strings in parallel, this would result in 120 * 10.8 A = 1296 A. This is significantly more than the 20x inverter's max. DC input current of 49.5 Adc per inverter, meaning 20 * 49.5 Adc = 990 Adc < 1296 A. Wouldn't be a warning by SAM useful?

Thank you again for your time! Best, Patrick

• pgilman
More
08 Dec 2021 23:37 #10368 by pgilman
Hi Patrick,

The results I get from your file show a maximum short circuit current of 9.307 A, which is less than the module's rated 9.81 A:

Best regards,
Paul.
Attachments:

Moderators: pgilman