Improving capacity factor and performance ratio

• Ahmed Mohamed
  • Topic Author
More
24 Nov 2021 04:23 #10311 by Ahmed Mohamed
Hi,
How can one improve capacity factor and performance ratio of PV system?
Thank you,

Ahmed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Nov 2021 01:12 #10324 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Improving capacity factor and performance ratio
Hi Ahmed,

There are several different ways you can improve the capacity factor and performance ratio of a photovoltaic system.

I think this might be a question for a homework assignment or test, so I am hesitant to answer it.

Please let me know if you have specific questions about how to model a potential improvement in SAM.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Ahmed Mohamed
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2021 02:15 #10404 by Ahmed Mohamed
Replied by Ahmed Mohamed on topic Improving capacity factor and performance ratio
Paul,

This is actually for a long-term project I am working on.  See attached.  I am not sure if the system components I picked are the best for this residential application or not.  There are a lot of options to pick from in terms of modules and inverters.  I watched the videos, and I used the optimization macros to help me pick the best system for the application.  Yet, I cannot seem to improve on these two performance parameters.  I would really appreciate it if you could at least point me in the right direction.
Best Regards,

Ahmed

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Dec 2021 16:05 #10405 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Improving capacity factor and performance ratio
Hi Ahmed,

The capacity factor and performance ratio shown in that report seem reasonable to me.

Some common ways to improve those metrics include increasing the DC-AC ratio, adjusting the array orientation (tilt, and possibly azimuth angle), and using a more efficient module and/or inverter.

There may be limits on what you can do. For example, for a roof-mounted array, you may not be able to adjust the orientation of the array, or there may be a limit on what equipment is available for your project.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman