We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Q_useful and municipal pool SHW confusion

• elutz
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2021 21:33 #10210 by elutz
Hello,
I’m working with a team on an energy analysis for an outdoor, all year, municipal pool located in the North West. We want to compare PV, SHW, and geothermal.SAM isn’t really designed for this sort of analysis. I don’t have a typical hot water draw profile and my “storage tank” is an entire lap pool. Rather than use all of SAM’s capabilities I just want to get the total useful energy captured by the collectors. 
The documentation defines Q_useful as “Power delivered to the water tank, equal to the power received by the collector minus losses from the collector to the surroundings.”
Q_dot = m_dot * C_p * ( Tf,o - Tf,i )
Question: Is m_dot the mass flow on the collector side or storage tank side?I’ve attached a labeled diagram for clarity. Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Oct 2021 23:10 #10213 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Q_useful and municipal pool SHW confusion
Hi Evelyn,

The diagram in the "Solar Water Heating" topic of SAM's Help system should explain what those parameters represent. (Click the topic name in the table of contents to see the model description.)

The mass flow rate is on the collector side.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman