We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Automating the process of simulation

• sbenchluch
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2021 22:08 #10207 by sbenchluch
Automating the process of simulation was created by sbenchluch
I have an standard design that I want to simulate in multiple sets of Lat, Long and would like to export an 8760 time series hourly data in excel for each location. What is the easiest way to do this if you are not a Python coder?

Your help is appreciated,

Stephen Benchluch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Oct 2021 23:17 #10215 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Automating the process of simulation
Hi Stephen,

If there are not too many locations and you are not an experienced coder or programmer, running the simulations by hand may be the quickest approach.

The other approach would be to use parametric simulations: You would first download a weather file for each location and put them in a folder, and then use the method described for parametric simulations here: sam.nrel.gov/simulation-options.html. That would require exporting the 8760 data for each run from the parametric table by hand.

You could also use the solar-resource-simulate-multiple-files.lk script available here: github.com/NREL/SAM/tree/develop/samples/LK%20Scripts%20for%20SAM (instructions are at the bottom of that page for how to download and run LK scripts).

Best regards,
Paul.

• sbenchluch
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2021 20:22 #10233 by sbenchluch
Replied by sbenchluch on topic Automating the process of simulation
Paul,

Thank you very much. I perhaps did not describe my objective very well. I want to simulate a list of 30 PV plants. I will use the same design for the 30 plants but will change a) location (latitude, longitude) and b) plant capacity for each plant. What is the easiest way to do this? Do you believe that the solar-resource-simulate-multiple-files.lk script does the job for me?

Your help is appreciated,

Stephen Benchluch

• pgilman
More
04 Nov 2021 23:03 #10234 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Automating the process of simulation
Hi Stephen,

Yes, I think using that LK script would be the best approach. You will have to modify it to set the value of the plant's capacity.

I would recommend using PVWatts for that analysis to be sure that the plant capacity is what you want it to be without having to worry about number of modules and inverters.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman