We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Fuel Cell Stack Properties

• RQ
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2021 19:05 #10181 by RQ
Fuel Cell Stack Properties was created by RQ
Hello,

I'm currently using SAM to simulate a PV-FC-BAT model and was wondering how the data for "Fuel consumption of fuel cell (Mcf) was calculated. I can't seem to find a consistent pattern varying the stack size and nameplate values.

Thanks, 
RQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
26 Oct 2021 17:02 #10189 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Fuel Cell Stack Properties
Hi RQ,

In my tests, the annual fuel consumption increases with fuel cell nameplate capacity. These parametric results are from the "Default 200 kW Fuel Cell" case in the attached file. You can also compare the hourly fuel consumption between a 200 kW and 400 kW fuel cell by comparing the cases in the file.

I added a link to a recording of a 2019 webinar on SAM's Fuel Cell model to the PV Videos page:

sam.nrel.gov/photovoltaic/pv-videos.html

Best regards,
Paul.

• RQ
  • Topic Author
More
01 Nov 2021 09:52 #10221 by RQ
Replied by RQ on topic Fuel Cell Stack Properties
Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt reply. It seems that it was an error on my end, which I believe I have identified.

Thanks to your file giving me a point of comparison, I found that a different parameter was changing when stack size was varied, which I'm assuming leads to the difference in fuel consumption. It seems that when varying the stack size or nameplate parameters, the calculated rate up/down limits change, while in the file you sent I noticed they remain the same regardless of stack size or nameplate value. Are there any pointers you could give me as to why this occurs?

Thanks again,
RQ

• pgilman
More
01 Nov 2021 21:24 #10222 by pgilman
Hi RQ,

On the Fuel Cell page, you can change the units for the ramp rate up and down limits. The calculated values shown on that page remain constant if you choose the kW/h units, but change if you choose the %/hr units.

Best regards,
Paul.

• RQ
  • Topic Author
More
08 Nov 2021 20:42 #10249 by RQ
Replied by RQ on topic Fuel Cell Stack Properties
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, I should've definitely noticed that! Another question, this time on the simulation side: What is the "system" referenced in the values simulated (e.g. "Electricity to grid from system" and "System power generated")? Looking at the numbers it sometimes seems as though "system" refers to all inputs summed as a whole, and sometimes it seems like it refers only to the PV input system.

Ryan

• pgilman
More
09 Nov 2021 00:53 #10250 by pgilman
Hi Ryan,

Yes, our use of the term "system" is a bit confusing because of the way SAM has evolved over time from being a solar model to one with solar and non-solar technologies, and finally to one with electricity storage options.

For the outputs, "system power generated" includes power from any part of the system (PV array, battery, fuel cell).

For the version of SAM we are currently preparing to release, I changed the name of the "System Design" page to "PV System Design" to try to address this issue.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman