We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

CSP never reaches the Nameplate power output

• Rgonzalep
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2021 13:49 #10178 by Rgonzalep
Hello PaulI'm designing a CSP with a nominal power of 35MW. The solar multiple is 1.8 and the Design point DNI of 900 W/M^2. When I simulate i see that the power output never reaches the nominal capacity of the plant but i don't know why. The DNI in the summer solstice is far enought (950W/m^2) and even the thermal power absorbed in the collector is the nominal that SAM has calculated but the power generated neer reaches the 35MW stays in 20MW.Attached graph and the SAM file. Regards Rubén.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rgonzalep
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2021 17:51 - 25 Oct 2021 23:42 #10180 by Rgonzalep
Replied by Rgonzalep on topic CSP never reaches the Nameplate power output
Hi Paul I'm Rubén Again

I attach a new graph file for you to see clearly what i mean because the other didn't have leyend.

As you can see the thermal power absorbed to the receptor is correct but later the power generated stays always in 20/22 MW.

I take the opportunity to ask you if the energy that remains is losed in the termal storage? or in parasitic losses? I suposse that this don't surpass the 4% of power cycle 

And what represent the pink constant line? Maximum thermal power to the cycle it's a contradiction because is supossed to be 180 Mwt7

Thanks!!!

Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 23:42 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
25 Oct 2021 23:54 #10185 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic CSP never reaches the Nameplate power output
Hi Rubén,

There are a few things that could cause the maximum output of the system to be less than the nameplate capacity. For example, parasitic loads for pumping, cooling, and freeze protection reduce the power cycle's electrical output.

The total annual freeze protection energy in your file seems high compared to the size of the system, so you might want to check the parameters that affect those values.

In the attached version of your file, I have added a "Default for Comparison" case that you can use to help find inputs that might be causing these results. Use the inputs browser (File, Inputs Browser) to display a table of variables with values that differ between the two cases. This might help identify the inputs that are causing these results.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman