Designing a Wind Farm - Master Study Project

• Dennis Brehm
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2021 17:37 #10169 by Dennis Brehm
Designing a Wind Farm - Master Study Project was created by Dennis Brehm
Hi,

In the beginning I have to say I`m a total beginner with SAM, so please be patient.
We have a group project in my master's course where we have to develop a wind farm with a capacity of 500 GWh. We have choosen Wyoming, Cheyenne as our location and we already submitted all the wind and weather data successfully.
Unfortunately we also have to write a report about that process and talk a little bit about the financial parameters. Thats why I´m writting here, because we don´t realy understand what the "tenor" is. It seems like a maturity when you have a loan from the bank, but we´ve gotten irritated because the duration had an effect on our annualy cashflow.
Also the IRR. We understand what it is, but how is this value getting calculated? Because if we change the values, we dont understand how the percentage results.
Could someone explain this to me?
Thank you very much in advance for your effort and time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Oct 2021 00:00 #10170 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Designing a Wind Farm - Master Study Project
Hi Dennis,

The Tenor on the Financial Parameters page is the debt repayment period. (You can find a description of this and other input variables in SAM's Help system -- press the F1 key or click the Help button to open it.)

The internal rate of return (IRR) is also described in Help: Look in the table of contents under "Financial Metrics."

In SAM, you can either provide the PPA price or power price as input, and SAM will calculate the resulting IRR, or you can provide the desired IRR as input, and SAM will calculate the PPA price you would need to achieve the IRR.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman