Run a week worth of weather data in SAM

• Sara Lagerholm
  • Topic Author
More
14 Oct 2021 16:32 #10134 by Sara Lagerholm
Run a week worth of weather data in SAM was created by Sara Lagerholm
Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to run just one week worth of data in SAM? Is there an interface where the data can be modeled in batches?

I am trying to figure out what the output of Solar PV would be during 2 specific weeks of the year. I have tried extracting the data from the csv file and creating a new one but SAM won't detect it. 

Thank you for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Oct 2021 17:04 #10135 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Run a week worth of weather data in SAM
Hi Sara,

SAM's user interface is designed to run simulations over a complete year (or complete years for the PV models). If you are interested in a period of time less than a year, you can ignore the results for the rest of the time. For example, if you have weather data for the first two weeks in May, you could insert that data into a weather file that covers the entire year, and then ignore results for times outside of that period.

Another approach would be to use the SAM Software Development Kit (SDK) to run simulations one time step at a time. That is possible for some of the performance models. The SDK includes wrappers for a variety of programming languages, and also includes a Python package called PySAM. For more on the  SAM SDK and PySAM see: sam.nrel.gov/software-development-kit-sdk.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Sara Lagerholm
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2021 17:19 #10155 by Sara Lagerholm
Replied by Sara Lagerholm on topic Run a week worth of weather data in SAM
Hi Paul,

thanks for your response, that makes a lot of sense! Is there a way I can extract hourly data from the results after I run the model? I have been playing around with it but all I get when I extract the hourly data for any of the variables is stats for one day instead of the actual hourly data? 

Thank you for your time and help,

Sara

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Oct 2021 23:56 #10156 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Run a week worth of weather data in SAM
Hi Sara,

You can export time series data from the Data Tables tab on the Results page after you run a simulation.

See the "Export Data and Graphs" topic in Help, under "Reference" in the table of contents for more detail.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman