radiation on vertical surface

• Giuseppe Marco Tina
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2021 15:56 #10121 by Giuseppe Marco Tina
radiation on vertical surface was created by Giuseppe Marco Tina
I have performed different simulations to compare the radiation striking vertical PV modules either east or west orientation.
The radiation on the west orientation is much lower than the est orientation this difference is about 40% using the PEREZ model and 34% using the isotropic model.
I performed the same simulations with PVsyst and the difference is only 1% (est greater than west).
Can you please tell me to justify such results?
Thank you
Regards
Marco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Oct 2021 21:25 #10122 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic radiation on vertical surface
Hi Marco,

I assume you used the same weather file and array tilt and azimuth values for your comparison between SAM and PVsyst.

Could you reply with a copy of the .sam file and weather file you used for this analysis?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Oct 2021 23:08 - 18 Oct 2021 15:45 #10132 by Paul Gilman
Hi Marco,

Thank you for emailing your files.

I have a qualitative explanation for the results you are seeing. The following heat map shows the hourly DNI data from your weather file. I added a green horizontal line to emphasize Noon. You can see that more solar energy is available over the year in the morning than in the afternoon, so I would expect an east-facing array to collect more energy over the year than a west facing one.

I have to look into the rear-side calculations for the bifacial model with tilt = 90 and azmiuth = 90 or 270. The model was originally developed based on data from arrays with tilt angles between 15 and 45 degrees and facing the equator, so I am not sure it was tested for vertical east- and west-facing arrays.

In any case, if you compare the monthly electrical output of the two arrays, the difference is much smaller than the difference in monthly plane-of-array front-side and rear-side irradiance values. I will follow up when I've had time to investigate further.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2021 15:45 by Paul Gilman.

• Giuseppe Marco Tina
  • Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2021 07:26 #10144 by Giuseppe Marco Tina
Replied by Giuseppe Marco Tina on topic radiation on vertical surface
Dear Paul, thank you very much for your kind and useful answer. In your answer, you referred to "The following heat map shows the hourly DNI data from your weather file."
I wasn't able to find this map, can you please check if this map is available?
I'm looking forward to receiving your following up on this topic when available.
Best regards
Marco

• Paul Gilman
More
18 Oct 2021 15:46 #10146 by Paul Gilman
Hi Marco,

Sorry about that! I forgot to attach and insert the picture -- it should be there now.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman