How SAM calculates Variable and Operating Costs

• Dennis Holman
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2021 16:22 #10094 by Dennis Holman
Hi,
My name is Dennis. I recently got a job at Tectonics Constructs. We are developing a novel solar river project by putting PVs over canals in southern arizona. We are using SAM to help us calculate the LCOE for a detailed PV model. Hows does SAM calculate the Variable and Fixed Operating Costs using this method?

More info can be found about our project here: tectonicus.com/solarriver

Dennis 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
25 Sep 2021 01:11 #10095 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How SAM calculates Variable and Operating Costs
Hi Dennis,

The operating costs are inputs to SAM that you can find at the bottom of the System Costs input page. You can provide the annual costs in $, $/kW, or $/kWh to model fixed costs, costs that scale with the nameplate size of the system, and costs that scale with the electrical output of the system.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Dennis Holman
  • Topic Author
More
28 Sep 2021 16:35 #10107 by Dennis Holman
Replied by Dennis Holman on topic How SAM calculates Variable and Operating Costs
Where do I find the System Costs input page? I am using a Photovoltaic< Detailed PV model<LCOE (FCR Method) no financial calculator. 

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Sep 2021 22:38 #10114 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How SAM calculates Variable and Operating Costs
Hi Dennis,

For the FCR method or "LCOE Calculator" financial model, the fixed and variable operating costs are inputs on the Financial Parameters input page. You can enter the fixed cost either as an annual amount in $/year or an amount that scales with the system capacity in $/kW-year. The variable cost is in $/kWh of annual generation.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman