We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Difference between CSP concepts

• Charlie.C
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2021 21:26 #9978 by Charlie.C
Difference between CSP concepts was created by Charlie.C
Dear community,

I have a somewhat basic question, but it has caused me many doubts. Mathematically I know what is the difference between "Design turbine gross ouput" and "Estimated net oput at design (nameplate)". I know the second case is less because it is multiplied by the conversion factor. But what is the difference in practice? What is the actual maximum that the plant could deliver? According to the simulation it should be the "Design turbine gross ouput", but then what is the application of knowing the "Estimated net oput at design (nameplate)", does it have any use? When an engineer says that there is a 100 MW plant to which of the two is he referring?
I would greatly appreciate if you could help me clarify these concepts please.

Kind regards

C.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
25 Aug 2021 21:22 #10003 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Difference between CSP concepts
Hi Charlie,

SAM uses the "nameplate" capacity to calculate costs and incentives that are given in $/kW of capacity.

The "design turbine gross output" is the power cycle's maximum output under design conditions. Engineers may design a system to operate above its nameplate capacity for short periods of time.

This approach is a way to allow the system to operate at a higher capacity for a lower cost.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman