We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Effect of azimuth angle on annual energy production of CSP-PTC

• Wengpin
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2021 07:15 #9955 by Wengpin
Dear Paul, 

Recently I have conducted a parametric analysis on the effect of azimuth angle on the annual energy production of CSP-PTC. I noticed that for most of the cases, the azimuth angle that can generate most energy is often in the range of -10 and 10 degree, which means that the CSP-PTC is facing south if I am not mistaken?If this is the case, then it actually suits what I found from the literature review.

However, there are some cases which oppose this finding. Those locations with the best azimuth angle out of this range are Dunhuang and Huanghe Hainan Solar Park in China. Their best azimuth angle is 70 and -19 degree. Are the best azimuth angles should be always facing 0 degree (south)? These locations are also located beyond latitude of 40 degree N, does this actually mean that further away from the equator (0 degree N), the best azimuth angle will be deviating further away from south?

Best regards,
Weng Pin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
17 Aug 2021 15:50 #9956 by pgilman
Hi Weng Pin,

The optimal azimuth angle might be affected by the storage dispatch schedule or time-of-delivery PPA price multipliers that vary with time of day and year. There are different ways to define "optimal." In some situations, the optimal azimuth angle might not be zero.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Wengpin
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2021 03:31 #9962 by Wengpin
Dear Paul,

Thanks for your reply!

Then if I set the annual energy production to be the desired outcome, the azimuth angle that can result in highest annual energy production might not always be 0 degree (facing south)?

Best regards,
Weng Pin.

• pgilman
More
18 Aug 2021 16:10 #9966 by pgilman
Hi Weng Pin,

Generally, I would expect an azimuth angle of zero to result in the highest annual energy production. But, in some locations, that may not be the case. For example, when there is a consistent pattern of clouds during certain times of day or year, or high mountains near the solar field.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman