Negative AC net monthly output for High-X CPV model

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2012 17:59 #1099 by Paul Gilman
I am using SAM version 2012.5.11. I am attempting to model a High-X concentrating PV (HCPV) array. For some months, I am seeing a negative AC net monthly output. Other months have a net AC output that is near zero. Do you have any ideas on what could cause this?

There are two things that could cause the system to have negative or near-zero output: Tracking parasitic power, and nighttime consumption by the inverter.

For tracking power, please see the "Single tracker power" input on the Array page. In SAM 2012.5.11, this input is a fixed value in Watts, and if you change the module size without changing the tracker power, you can end up with a tracker that consumes more power than the module generates, resulting in negative power output. (SAM assumes that the system is connected to the grid, so negative power output represents electricity consumed by the system.) In SAM 2012.11.30, we changed that input so that it is a fraction of the DC nameplate capacity instead of a fixed capacity -- hopefully that change will help avoid this issue.

Inverter nighttime losses may result in negative output values for hours between sundown and sunrise, but should not result in negative output over an entire month.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pklotz
More
25 Nov 2013 15:01 #1100 by pklotz
Hello Paul,

I do have the same problem and I already tried a lot to fix the problem. So I just tried to use all default values and only changed the HTF to Solar Salt, Freeze protection temperature (250°C), salt inlet temperature 290°C, Salt outlet temperature 550°C. So the resault was 6 months with negative output (kWh). Afterwards I set aux heater, boiler parasitic to zero, afterwards tracking power to zero, thermal storage to zero but this didn't really change the output values.

Do you know, what could cause this?

Thank you,

Peter

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
25 Nov 2013 17:24 #1101 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Negative AC net monthly output for High-X CPV model
Hello Peter,

The original question was about the high-concentration photovoltaic model (HCPV). It sounds like you are having a similar issue with one of the concentrating solar power (CSP) systems. Can you tell me which model you are using (physical trough, power tower, etc.)?

Best regards,
Paul.

• pklotz
More
26 Nov 2013 08:14 #1102 by pklotz
Hello Paul,

I had the problem with both, the Parabolic Trough (Physical Model) and The Parabolic Trough (Emprirical Model).

Best regards,
Peter

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2013 17:10 #1103 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Negative AC net monthly output for High-X CPV model
Hi Peter,
Thank you for the clarification. I set up two cases as you described, but could not recreate the situation with negative monthly output. Could you [url=mailto:sam.support@nrel.tov?subject=Trough%20examples%20with%20negative%20monthly%20output&body=See%20attached%20.zsam%20file t=_self]email me[/url] a copy of a SAM file (.zsam) that shows an example?
Best regards,

Paul.

• pklotz
More
03 Dec 2013 09:30 #1104 by pklotz
Hello Paul,

I sent you an email with the corresponding SAM file.

Best regards,

Peter

Moderators: Paul Gilman