We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

How do I configure Optimizers?

• Dale
  • Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2021 04:09 #9339 by Dale
How do I configure Optimizers? was created by Dale
My chosen inverter is a Solar Edge HD-wave Tech 7.6KW. It is designed to be used with optimizers. My panels are HAN Qcells Q.peak Duo G6 340. In SAM the system design wants 11 modules to fall within the 480-360v range of the inverter.

Shouldn't the optimizer allow for more or less panels in a string to allow me to do a better job of matching to my design requirements?
Or does the optimizer merely adjust the output voltage between the open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage to allow for maximum wattage output?

I am planning for a grid based net zero home. In Florida we can net zero balance across months but any net positive balance at the end of the year is only paid out at the fuel savings rate. So there is little value in going beyond net zero.

Where do I input optimizers into SAM?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
05 Mar 2021 00:54 #9344 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How do I configure Optimizers?
Hi Dale,

SAM does not have a straightforward way to model PV systems with power electronics between the PV module or array and inverter that control the inverter input voltage. Please see this post for a workaround solution:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/2117-modeling-dc-optimizers-with-multiple-mppt-feature.html#7441

We hope improve SAM to better handle these kinds of systems: github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/209

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman