TROUBLE WITH SAM 2020.11.29 FAILING TO OPEN PROPERLY

• Robert Chisholm
  • Topic Author
More
17 Feb 2021 21:40 #9296 by Robert Chisholm
Hello! 

HELP!

CAN'T RUN SAM 2020.11.29 FOR SOME REASON, SO CAN'T  DO MY WORK !
The trouble referred to just started yesterday, quite unexpectedly, as shown in the 3 attached screen shots - FILE 1, FILE 2 and FILE 3 - occurring in that order . In this particular example I was trying to start a new project, but before that I was having similar trouble with trying to open an existing project file created the day before.. I had to take the last screen shot (FILE 3) with my cellphone because there was some kind of endless looping going on in SAM (note the "hourglass" ("egg timer") icon at the bottom of the picture).

After displaying for a few seconds, SAM just shut down without warning, with no error message displaying  - without the usual user interface appearing properly, to enable me to start entering the data for the new project file.

I tried installing SAM 2020.11.29 on another Windows 10 machine but ran into the same trouble. What could be causing this and how might I get out of trouble?Sincerely, Robert T. Chisholm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Feb 2021 00:53 #9302 by Paul Gilman
Hi Robert,

Hm, I'm not sure what is causing this. Have you tried closing all other applications before starting SAM?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Robert Chisholm
  • Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2021 01:16 #9308 by Robert Chisholm
Replied by Robert Chisholm on topic TROUBLE WITH SAM 2020.11.29 FAILING TO OPEN PROPERLY
Hi Paul

It did not occur to me to close all other applications before starting SAM - because this has never been an issue before.
Next time I'll try that, and will let you know what happens.

Regards, Robert

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Feb 2021 16:58 #9309 by Paul Gilman
Hi Robert,

If you continue having trouble, here are some other things to try:

1. Make sure SAM is properly registered: When you first start the software, click Registration in the bottom left corner of the window, make sure your email address and registration key appear in the Registration window, and then click Confirm.

2. Check to see if more than one instance of SAM or the SAM updater is running: Open the Windows Task Manager (ctrl-Alt-Delete) and see if there is more than one instance of sam.exe and webupdate.exe. If there is, use the Task Manager to "end task" for each instance, and then restart SAM.

3. When you start SAM, press Shift-F4 to open the SAM log window, and let me know what it says.

4. If this happens when you are opening a specific .sam file, please send us the file.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Robert Chisholm
  • Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2021 17:47 #9311 by Robert Chisholm
Replied by Robert Chisholm on topic TROUBLE WITH SAM 2020.11.29 FAILING TO OPEN PROPERLY
OK Paul, many thanks.

Will do - once I'm through with any  adware problem, corrupted Windows files, lack of hard drive space to serve as virtual memory, etc. 

One or more out of several things could be causing the trouble.

Regards, Robert

• Robert Chisholm
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2021 21:55 #9313 by Robert Chisholm
Hi PaulSince my last posting I ran all my virus scans etc. (Malwarebytes, adwarecleaner, HerdProtect and Spybot) and no significant problem showed up. I use VLC Media Player for video and the video clips referred to below are .mp4 filesThen I tried two ways of opening one of my project files, recording video and making screen shots, as follows:-1. Double clicking on the project file itself. The result was as shown HERE:  tinyurl.com/DBLCLICK-ME2. Opening SAM and then navigating to the same project file to open said project file. The result was as shown HERE:  tinyurl.com/OPENSAMSELECTWhile that was recording, I clicked Shift+ F4 and took a screen shot of Task Manager, shown HERE:  tinyurl.com/TSKMANThis showed just one instance of sam.exe open and zero instances of webupdate.exe open. I'd forgotten to open the SAM log window this first time, so I started the procedure again in order to get a screen shot of the SAM log window,
shown HERE: tinyurl.com/SAMLOG-FOR-THISThe SAM file involved is attached to this message as "BLMS.sam".It's one of the SAM files that I'd run successfully before the trouble started.GENERALI've been getting continual "Can't install updates" error messages with the particular build of Windows 10 currently on my computer. My system info is as shown HERE: tinyurl.com/SYSINFO-FOR-COMPUTER I might install a later build of Windows 10 to correct this, which might also solve my problem with SAM not opening. It's also possible that one or more of my current Windows 10 files somehow got corrupted after one session running SAM - but then after shutting down my computer for the night and re-starting it the next day, the problem with SAM appeared without warning. In any case it seems clear that the problem lies with my Windows 10 installation and not with SAM. The fact that nobody else has reported any problem like mine would tend to confirm this. Sincerely, Robert T. Chisholm
Attachments:

Moderators: Paul Gilman