Panel Temperature

• Syed Shayaan
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2021 17:41 #9166 by Syed Shayaan
Panel Temperature was created by Syed Shayaan
Hi there, 
I am trying to improve the model accuracy, and am wondering if it is possible to add the following parameters within SAM. 
I have data available for panel irradiance and panel temperature with 5 min values for a year.
Please let me know if it's possible to use these values in the modelling process. 
Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Jan 2021 21:13 #9178 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Panel Temperature
Hi Syed,

It is possible to use the Detailed PV model with your on weather data. To do so, you will need to create a text file in the SAM CSV format, which is described in SAM's Help system (see Weather File Formats, SAM CSV Format for Solar), and also in the PDF version of the description available here: sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications.html.

You can also run the PV Detailed model using plane-of-array (POA) irradiance data as input, as described in several posts on this forum, including this one: sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/1514.

However, it is not possible to bypass SAM's module temperature model and use time series module or cell temperature as input. The best you can do is choose parameters under "Temperature Correction" on the Module input page and then compare the subarray cell temperature output in the results to your measured data.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Syed Shayaan
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2021 16:04 - 14 Jan 2021 16:43 #9193 by Syed Shayaan
Replied by Syed Shayaan on topic Panel Temperature
Thanks for the quick reply, I have tried to add the POA data within the csv and it even shows up in the data viewer window.

However, when I simulate the model, I get the following warnings as seen below. The model still simulates to completion and I am just wondering how to remove these warnings. I have checked that the file does not contain any NaN values and that all values are greater than 0, furthermore, I have select POA from pyranometer from within SAM from the Location and Resource tab. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Syed

Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 16:43 by Paul Gilman.

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Jan 2021 17:03 - 14 Jan 2021 17:03 #9194 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Panel Temperature
Hi Syed,

Those errors indicate that the decomposition model SAM uses to convert POA values to DNI and DHI is having trouble converting your data.

Would you mind attaching a copy of the weather file so I can investigate?

Thanks,
Paul.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 17:03 by Paul Gilman.

Moderators: Paul Gilman