Single axis tracking with bifacial modules

• Robert Millsap
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2021 19:30 #9149 by Robert Millsap
Single axis tracking with bifacial modules was created by Robert Millsap
I receive a warning (in the most recent SAM version) that results may not be accurate when I model bifacial modules on a single axis tracker. Does anyone know how significant the difference might be? Where can I find more information about modeling bifacials on trackers?

thanks, Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Jan 2021 23:12 - 06 Jan 2021 23:14 #9156 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Single axis tracking with bifacial modules
Hi Robert,

That message is misleading. The bifacial model should work fine with one-axis tracking as long as the tilt angle is zero. The model was developed from empirical data measured for systems with horizontal tracking axes.

That message should only appear if the tilt angle is not zero. We will fix that for the first update to SAM 2020.11.29: github.com/NREL/ssc/issues/364.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2021 23:14 by Paul Gilman.

• Jeff Sharpe
More
15 Mar 2021 15:06 #9372 by Jeff Sharpe
Replied by Jeff Sharpe on topic Dual axis tracking with bifacial modules
Greetings-
We are using BiFacials on Dual-axis trackers. The recent reports from field installs in Vermont appear to perform as expected. 
Can you please direct me to any reference of potential problems?
Many Thanks! J# for SES and STracker Solar

• Paul Gilman
More
15 Mar 2021 17:26 #9373 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Dual axis tracking with bifacial modules
Hi Jeff,

SAM's simulation message is meant to explain a limitation in the way SAM  models bifacial models, not a limitation of how they work in a real system:

The model is descried in Marion et al. (2017) and available from the SAM website here: sam.nrel.gov/photovoltaic/pv-sub-page-2.html . The model was developed and tested for fixed arrays and one-axis tracking arrays with a horizontal tracking axis (tilt = 0), so SAM displays the message when those conditions are not met.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman