We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Specify the period system availability loss

• Harry_Ha
  • Topic Author
More
16 Oct 2020 23:19 - 19 Oct 2020 21:47 #8872 by Harry_Ha
Hi, there
As I mentioned in previous Q/A, I simulate a project at Fort McMurray location where from November to February the solar irradiance is not strong enough to run the solar plant. Therefore, I would like specify this no operation period in SAM. One way as you suggest to specify system availability loss = 25% to account for the no operation period. However, this will derate the design production and capacity factor significantly as SAM consider the loss over the yearly basis. I tried to specify the specific no operation period using custom period function like this:

However, SAM generate errors when I try to run it with this customized availability loss periods. See below:

Please help to guide what else input I need to make it run. Besides, during the non-operation period, the plant will be moth-balled. So the heat loss and utility consumption should be considered separately - Let SAM simulate the operation on 8 month period for normal operation economics. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, 
Harry
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 21:47 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
19 Oct 2020 22:00 #8889 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Specify the period system availability loss
Hi Harry,

I edited your post to insert the images by first attaching and then inserting them so they are rendered correctly.

I think the correct way to specify availability losses to cover the period from November 1 to February 28 would look like this:

However, I'm not sure the availability loss is being applied to the heat output of the process heat models.

Another approach might be to edit the weather file to set the DNI to zero for the period that the system is mothballed.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman