We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

ENTERING MONTHLY KWH DATA ON PAGE - ELECTRIC LOAD

• Caribhomes
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2012 21:48 #1036 by Caribhomes
I do not see the changes made , when I enter monthly kwh data from my electricity bill into input item = > NORMALIZE SUPPORTED LOCAL PROFILE TO MONTHKY ENERGY USAGE ?, WHEN I ENTER AND APPLY OK, IT IS NOT SHOWING ON THE JAN - DEC WINDOW BELOW, ALSO NO DATA APPEAR IN TOTAL SUM WINDOW EXPRESSED IN KWH AND PEAK IN KW ?, PLEASE ADVISE IF HOW TO ENTER OR CORRECT THE ERROR ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
03 Dec 2012 22:08 #1037 by pgilman
Hello,

When you model a system with the residential or commercial financing option, you can specify the building load on the Electric Load page. SAM requires an hourly data set (8,760 values) to describe the load for each hour of the year. To represent the load using monthly usage data, you must first provide SAM with an hourly data set that it scales up or down to match the monthly values you enter. For the hourly data, you can either use one of the sample data files (described in help), or specify the hourly load using the hour-by-month table available when you choose the "Monthly schedule" option.

If you still need help, please attach your .zsam file to a reply so that I can see how you have set up the load.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Caribhomes
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2012 01:43 #1038 by Caribhomes
Replied by Caribhomes on topic ENTERING MONTHLY KWH DATA ON PAGE - ELECTRIC LOAD
Paul

Thanks , however I am still a bit off my own projections for the attached PV system

Assumptions efficieny factor 0.79
Size of PV system 725 kw
Irridiance 1954 kwh/m2
Export ( sell )rate USD 0.36 / kwh
Import ( buy ) rate USD 0.11 / kwh
Annual total load 3.36 mill kwh
Renewable energy generated as per SAM = 1.089,801 kwh ( I can follow that )

But SAM is indicating that total revenue without system is - USD 2,146,864,.75 ( first year)

A munal calculation using export rate of 0.36 USD / kwh would indicate TRWS of 0.36 * 3.360,000 = USD 1,209,600 cost per year ( first year) Vs. SAM's calc. of 2,146,864 , please explain why ?

Same situation for total revenue with system ? I am not following the calcualtion

First year net revenue shows in SAM USD 319,000 Vs. my rough calculation indicate an annual off set energy generated by system vlaued 0.36 * 1,089,864 = USD 392,351, again why the difference ?

I have attahced the 15 minutes load history for 12 months, which is entered in to the SAM USED HOURLY DATA, it then average the load into monthly kwh quantities ( I did not yet enter the actual corresponding monthly bills in kwh )

Second using 7 years financing period 100 % debt fraction SAM is indicating 11 + years repayment, how is that possible when the assumption is 100 % fiancing over total period of 7 years ?? with or without escalation.

Please see attached SAM simulation model for the said system.

Thanks

Looking forward to hear from you again.

Paul

• pgilman
More
19 Dec 2012 16:48 #1039 by pgilman
Hi Paul,

Thank you for sending the file along with your question.

1. Why is SAM's "total revenue without system" different from the value you calculated by hand?

Your calculation is correct for the energy portion of the rate you specified on the Utility Rate page. SAM also includes the monthly charges ("fixed monthly charge" and "monthly fixed demand charge") that you specified. If you remove those charges from the Utility Rate page, you can compare SAM's value to your calculation, or you can include the fixed charges in your calculation to match SAM's value.

2. Why is SAM's "total revenue with system" different from your calculation?

Again, I think the difference is due to the monthly charges that you omitted from your calculation.

3. Why does SAM report a payback period of 11.2 years for a project with 100% financing over 7 years?

I think you can see why from the cash flow graph on the Results page. In SAM, the payback period is the time in years that it takes for project savings to equal the initial cost in Year zero. (See the Payback Period topic in Help for details.) In your case, the annual cash flow after the debt period is on the order of $250,000, so after the debt is paid off in Year 7, it takes only a few years to pay off the initial investment of $435,000.

Best regards,
Paul.

• kemaangu
More
12 Dec 2020 08:07 #9104 by kemaangu
Replied by kemaangu on topic Getting the specific month electricity load
sir,
Can you help me to get a specific day electricity consumption data of a building using SAM .

Thanks and Regards,
K. Anuradha

• pgilman
More
14 Dec 2020 19:05 #9112 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Getting the specific month electricity load
Hi K. Anuradha,

You can display the time series load data in a table on the Data Tables tab, or as a graph on the Time series graph. If you need the data for a specific day, you can select the day from the table or graph.

If you need help importing load data into SAM, please see the "Short How-to Video on Importing Load Data" here:

sam.nrel.gov/financial-models/residential-and-commercial.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman