We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Shading Error in PV + Battery system

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2020 07:55 #8822 by afrozkhan
Shading Error in PV + Battery system was created by afrozkhan
Hi there

I have a PV system with a battery and I keep getting the following error: exec fail(pvsamv1): Error calculating shading factor for subarray 0 at index 0.
I did not change anything under shading, I've left all values as default. I've seen a previous post about this and the error was in the weather file. I have checked the weather file and there are no errors with it. This error also started occurring on previous SAM PV models where I had no errors before.
It was suggested to me to try and use a previous version of SAM where I did not have this problem. The latest previous version available is the 2018 version, which I've installed. But now I cannot open any of my models as it was saved on the 2020 version. 

How can I fix this? Is there a way to open files saved on the 2020 version in the 2018 version? Is there a new 2020 version coming out soon that fixes this problem? 

Kind Regards
Afroz Khan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
08 Oct 2020 23:28 #8834 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Shading Error in PV + Battery system
Dear Afroz,

Please see this post for a workaround solution to this problem:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3095

Best regards,
Paul.

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2020 07:24 #8837 by afrozkhan
Replied by afrozkhan on topic Shading Error in PV + Battery system
Hi Paul

I have already seen this solution. I did follow the step-by-step procedure but it does not change the error. My weather file does not seem to be my issue. 
I've also used that same weather file in a CSP model and it works with no error. 
Is there any way to download any of the previous 2020 versions of SAM? The most recent download allowed by the website is the 2018 version and not any of the previous 2020 versions. As I mentioned, my model worked perfectly before. It only occurred when I updated my SAM. I'm not sure if it may be a problem with SAM for Southern Hemisphere models.

Kind Regards
Afroz

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2020 10:39 #8840 by afrozkhan
Hi Paul

I had seen this post and tried to fix the weather file but it did not work. I do believe that there is an error with the weather file, though it used to work before. 
Its source is ISD-TMYx and was obtained from a source recommended by NREL. This weather file used to work, it is only since I've updated SAM that it does not work. 
I'm not sure how to fix the weather file.

Kind Regards
Afroz Khan

• pgilman
More
09 Oct 2020 21:02 #8847 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Shading Error in PV + Battery system
Hi Afroz,

We are working to fix this issue: github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/365.

Would you mind attaching a copy of your .sam file and the .epw file so we can use it it to test?

Best regards,
Paul.

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2020 14:01 #8850 by afrozkhan
Thanks Paul.
I've attached the files below. ]

Moderators: pgilman