Photovoltaic Plant + Storage, best option for dispatch model

• Pão Man
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2020 19:37 #8805 by Pão Man
Hi, I'm simulating plants in Brazil. We have a 5000kWac inverter restriction. In addition, after 6 pm we have higher energy sales rates (almost 2 times higher). The idea is to simulate a system with a high DC / AC ratio and use storage for dispatch at 6 pm (loading the storage with the inverter clipping power).
For that, I used PV-Battery, in "single owner", would that be the best option? Later, the control selected "dispatch look ahead". I obtained a gain of 2% in my system with the simulated storage. But, missing some things:
1 - Is it possible to estimate the financial gain with the dispatch and tariff 2 times higher?
2 - Is it possible to discharge the battery also outside the dispatch time, leaving the energy injection curve more linearized, and at the end of the day with something on the battery?
3 - Do you know examples of installation worldwide with this type of dispatch?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Oct 2020 16:08 #8808 by Paul Gilman
Hi Pao Man,

1. Yes. On the Revenue page, under "Time of Delivery", use the TOD periods and schedule to define the two tariffs. For example, if the PPA price is $0.10/kWh, and the Period 1 TOD factor is on3, and the Period 2 TOD factor is 2, then the effective PPA price would be $0.10/kWh for all hours defined as Period 1 in the weekday and weekend schedule matrices, and $0.20/kWh for all hours defined as Period 2.

2. If you use the Manual Dispatch schedule, you can customize the battery dispatch to respond to the manual schedule you define instead of the TOD price multipliers.

3. I don't know of specific examples, but perhaps someone else does?

The recording of our battery front-of-meter webinar might be helpful. You can find a link to it and others at sam.nrel.gov/battery-storage/battery-videos.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Pão Man
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2020 20:16 #8818 by Pão Man
Thank you very much Paul. It helped a lot, the Webinars and all the work with SAM is spectacular.

I have three more questions:

1 - I was able to simulate by the hour, but now I wanted to simulate a subhourly, I saw it in one of the NREL materials simulation every 5 minutes. Is this possible with the NSRDVB data itself? Or do I need to insert weather files?
2 - How can I create my file with the data of my solarimetric station, so that it is able to SAM?
3 - Is there any other database that I can get subhourly data more quickly, already in the SAM format?

Att,

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Oct 2020 21:27 #8819 by Paul Gilman
1. The NSRDB does now provide 5-minute data, which you can access from the NSRDB website: maps.nrel.gov/nsrdb-viewer/. The next version of SAM (November 2020) will have options to download directly from the user interface, but for now you can access the data from the NSRDB website.

SAM's Solar Resource Interpolation macro uses interpolation to convert an hourly weather file to subhourly data. To try the macro, click Macros under the Simulate button.

2. You can either modify an existing weather file in the SAM CSV format to add your measured data, or create a file if you have the meteorological data required by the photovoltaic model. You can find a description of the SAM CSV format and a table of the data required by the different model's in SAM's Help system under "Weather Data" in the table of contents. The format description is also available as a PDF here: sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications.html.

3. For a list of sources of weather data, see sam.nrel.gov/weather-data.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman