Electrolyser in a PV-hybrid system

• Hakim
  • Topic Author
More
29 Sep 2020 22:38 #8796 by Hakim
Electrolyser in a PV-hybrid system was created by Hakim
Hello!

I was wondering whether SAM is planning on introducing an electrolyser (and hydrogen storage) component in the next updates. And if by any chance someone is already working on that I would love to participate in testing the beta version, if it exists. I'm currently working on my Masters thesis on heat-recovery for residential PV-hybrid systems that include electrolyser - H storage and fuel-cell, and I'd love to use SAM to further research that question in the next 3-6 months.

Also are you planning on adding an option for PEMFC?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Oct 2020 15:43 #8797 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Electrolyser in a PV-hybrid system
Hi Hakim,

SAM does have a basic grid-connected PVĀ  - Fuel Cell model with optional battery storage, which you can learn about in this video from the SAM channel on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=luH75ILBLJI.

This video from a SAM user describes an approach to using SAM to model hydrogen production from renewables: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-omKf7ljc.

We do not have funding for any work on the fuel cell model in the immediate term.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Brian
More
30 Nov 2023 18:37 #12705 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Electrolyser in a PV-hybrid system
The study here (doi.org/10.2172/1961147) walks through an analysis but the Github link to their code is broken. Anyone know where it's stored?

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Nov 2023 22:21 - 30 Nov 2023 22:21 #12706 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Electrolyser in a PV-hybrid system
Hi Brian,

I think you are referring to this URL on page 4 of "Electrolyzers in the System Advisor Model (SAM): A Techno-Economic Potential Study:" github.nrel.gov/wxi/sam-electrolysis.

Unfortunately, that is a link to a private NREL repository.

I did find this public NREL repository for an electrolyzer model, but I'm not sure if it is related to the work described in the paper: github.com/NREL/electrolyzer.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2023 22:21 by Paul Gilman.

Moderators: Paul Gilman