We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Generate (simulate) hourly solar production data

• LSterner
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2020 18:54 #8776 by LSterner
Hi. I am an enthusiastic new user of the model. In the "data tables" for a select project I have been able to generate system generated power by hour to obtain 8760 data points which I assume represent the P50, or expected, values. I am trying to discern whether I can generate the same data, e.g. by hour representing the P90 values?  Appreciate any feedback. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
25 Sep 2020 23:42 #8783 by pgilman
Hi Lucian,

SAM's time series results in SAM depend on the weather data you use for the simulation. If you use a "typical meteorological year" weather file, then the results are similar to P50 results. For more about different kinds of weather data, see the best practices handbook referenced here:

sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications.html

If you have a collection of weather files representing the solar resource over multiple years, you can also use SAM's P50/P90 feature to calculate P50 values of annual energy and other metrics. You can find a paper on P50/P90 analysis in SAM at the page I linked above, and a video demonstrating how to use it here:

sam.nrel.gov/simulation-options.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman