We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Simulating Flanders - PV + Battery Incentives

• yashagarwala
  • Topic Author
More
15 Sep 2020 15:08 #8736 by yashagarwala
Simulating Flanders - PV + Battery Incentives was created by yashagarwala
Hi,

An international user here. I am trying to a PV+battery system for the best payback period based on the recent incentives announced in Belgium - Flanders for the year 2021. It consists of 3 components:

1. Feed-in Tariff (Injection Price): 3.5 cts/kWh - This is believe if I use the net billing scheme and set the selling price  to this then I am set.
2. Direct Cash Incentive for the PV system capacity: 300 Euros/kWp for <= 4 kWp and then from 4 kWp to <= 6kWp 150 Euros/kWp | I do not seem to be able to feed in such a staggered incentive scheme. Any suggestions here? I could probably take an average but that will not capture the difference between the 4 kWp and the 6kWp price drop.
3. Direct Cash incentive for the Battery Capacity: 250 Euros/kWh with a MAX at 3200 Euros | This I have no idea how to incorporate. Please help? 

Looking forward to your suggestions here.

Kind Regards,
Yash Agarwala.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
16 Sep 2020 23:04 #8747 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Simulating Flanders - PV + Battery Incentives
Hi Yash,

1. Keep in mind the treatment of excess generation for the net billing option -- you can read how that is handled in the Help description.

2. You would have to calculate the total incentive amount by hand, and then use one of the IBI "Amount" categories to represent the incentive. You can ignore the category names in SAM: Federal, State, Utility, and Other -- you could use any category to represent the payment.

3. The "Capacity Based Incentive" in SAM is based on the PV array capacity rather than the battery capacity, so you would have to calculate the value of the cash payment by hand as in #2.

Best regards,
Paul.

• yashagarwala
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2020 23:46 #8750 by yashagarwala
Replied by yashagarwala on topic Simulating Flanders - PV + Battery Incentives
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply. I will read help for the #1.

I understand what you are saying about #2 and #3, however, my goal is to try and simulate scenarios by varying the PV system size and battery size to see where the best Payback period sits. And if I can't make it related to these values in some way then while performing the parametric analysis these incentives will not be properly captured in Payback period calculation.

Any way to make this happen?

Appreciate  your time. 

Kind Regards,
Yash.

• pgilman
More
17 Sep 2020 19:10 - 17 Sep 2020 19:11 #8755 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Simulating Flanders - PV + Battery Incentives
Hi Yash,

If you have some knowledge of computer programming or scripting language, you could use SAM's LK scripting language to write a script that would calculate the incentive values, set the appropriate inputs, run a simulation, and get metrics of interest from the results, and write them to a text file or display them.

See sam.nrel.gov/lk-script.html.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 19:11 by pgilman.

Moderators: pgilman