We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

How does SAM calculate the volume of molten salt in Power Tower Molten Salt ?

• hameedhatem
  • Topic Author
More
28 Aug 2020 00:15 #8635 by hameedhatem
Hi, 
I am trying to manually verify the calculations of the Power Tower Molten Salt model but I failed to figure out how the available HTF volume. 
I referred to the "Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model" by Michael J. Wagner and Paul Gilman. I found equation 4.2 that calculates the volume of the HTF (See page 81). Is the same equation applicable in the power tower with molten salt and? If so, how to control the value of the heat exchanger de-rate factor (fhx) in the model? If not, would you please guide me how the volume is calculated? 

Thank you so much for your time and consideration 

Regards,
Abdul Hamed 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Aug 2020 17:39 #8641 by pgilman
Hi Abdul,

SAM calculates the available HTF volume shown on the Thermal Storage page of the Molten Salt Power Tower model using the same equation you referenced from the physical trough reference manual. The code for that calculation is at github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/tcs/csp_solver_two_tank_tes.cpp.

Best regards,
Paul.

• hameedhatem
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2020 20:27 #8642 by hameedhatem
Many thanks Paul,

Would you please provide me with the equations that SAM uses to calculate the specific heat and density of the molten salt. The equations that I do use give different values . Those are the equations that I do use:

Density=2090-0.636* Average temperature ;      % (Kg/m3)Density oh hot HTF
Specific Heat=1443-0.172 *Average temperature;     % (J/Kg.K) Specific heat of hot HTF

Best Regards,
Abdul Hamed 

• pgilman
More
31 Aug 2020 15:46 #8651 by pgilman
Hi Abdul Hamed,

The HTF property calculations are in github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/tcs/htf_props.cpp.

Best regards,
Paul.

• hameedhatem
  • Topic Author
More
03 Sep 2020 04:32 #8662 by hameedhatem
Thank you so much Paul. 

Moderators: pgilman