We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

PV Tracker Simulation

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2020 18:56 #8609 by afrozkhan
PV Tracker Simulation was created by afrozkhan
Hi
I have an hourly load I'd like the system to meet but it varies throughout the day and year. Is there a way to control the tracker in the pv module? I want to input the load and simulate the tracker to move such that it can output that load. Can SAM do this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
19 Aug 2020 00:12 #8610 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV Tracker Simulation
Hi Afroz Khan,

For SAM's photovoltaic models, the tracker moves throughout each day of the year to follow the sun either along a single axis or two axes, depending on the option you choose. The seasonal tilt option allows you to enter a fixed tilt angle by month to represent an array that is adjusted by hand throughout the year.

The tracker does not respond to the electric load.

Best regards,
Paul.

• afrozkhan
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2020 08:21 #8612 by afrozkhan
Replied by afrozkhan on topic PV Tracker Simulation
Hi Paul

I have an hourly load which I'd like to mitigate using the PV system with no power exported to the grid. The issue is that towards the end of the year I have very low loads which is causing an issue since I don't want to export power. Since I can't simulate tracker, how else would I be able to control the output of the system in SAM? Is there a way to control the output of the system or limit the output on an hourly basis?

Best regards
Afroz

• pgilman
More
19 Aug 2020 23:31 #8613 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV Tracker Simulation
Hi Afroz,

You could use the "System Availability" losses on the Losses page for that -- you can apply losses on a time-step basis to either the DC output of the array or AC output of the inverter. See the Help topic for that page for more details.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman