We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Timeseries inputs/outputs for marine hydrokinetic power

• grmiller
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2020 00:24 #8603 by grmiller
I am wondering if the SAM team has considered adding functionality to simulate 8760 generation profiles for marine tidal and wave resources in the future?

I am working with a California utility to identify future portfolios that could supply 100% time coincident renewable energy on an 8760 basis, and we are interested in knowing if the generation profile for wave and tidal could help complement other resources.

In my basic research on this topic so far, I've found two main sources of data for wave and tidal current data:

Tidal Current Data: NOAA's Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services provides an API to access much of its data, including current velocity data: api.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/api/prod/#products

Wave data: it appears that hourly wave height and period data can be downloaded from NOAA's National Buoy Data Center. I have not been able to find an API, but they do provide this information about accessing historical data: www.ndbc.noaa.gov/archive.shtml

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
18 Aug 2020 17:58 #8607 by pgilman
Hi Greg,

SAM's Marine Energy model are being actively developed, so you can expect to see improvements and new features over the next few versions. NREL's marine energy research is described here, along with a list of available datasets: www.nrel.gov/water/marine-energy.html.

As time series resource data becomes available, I expect SAM's marine energy wave and tidal models will have options to use that as input, similar to the Wind Power model, which can use either a time series wind resource file, or a statistical characterization of the resource.

Best regards,
Paul.

• grmiller
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2021 17:03 #9781 by grmiller
Hi Paul,

I just wanted to check back in to check on the progress of adding marine energy generation timeseries data to SAM (which I suppose depends on whether any new time series resource data has become available since last summer).

Thank you,

Greg

• pgilman
More
06 Jul 2021 22:53 #9782 by pgilman
Hi Greg,

An option to run the Marine Wave model in time series mode should be available with the Fall 2021 version of SAM. We've completed some work on that project as described here: github.com/NREL/SAM/pull/645.

We are also working to integrate access to a new time series wave resource data set available from the NREL Developer API here: developer.nrel.gov/docs/wave/.

Best regards,
Paul.

• grmiller
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2021 20:07 #9803 by grmiller
Hi Paul, thank you for the update. This is good news! Out of curiousity, is there similar work taking place for tidal resources, or is the focus on wave energy for now?

• pgilman
More
12 Jul 2021 15:27 #9819 by pgilman
Hi Greg,

The focus is on wave energy now because of the availability of time series wave resource data.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman