We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Weather file conversion from smw format to TMY format

• baboraik
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2020 09:57 #8542 by baboraik
Dear all
Please can anyone help me with this issue?
I have the weather data for my location in smw format and I've tried it before by using Sam.2017; however, currently, it does not work in Sam 2020. Does the latest version require only TMY  format?
How can I convert weather files from smw format to TMY format? 

Your help will be highly appreciated. 

Sincerely 
ABDULRAHMAN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
11 Aug 2020 23:13 #8543 by pgilman
Hi Abdulrahman,

SAM's solar models use the SAM CSV format. They can also read files in the EPW and older .tm2 and TMY3 CSV formats.

You should be able to convert your .smw file into the SAM CSV format using the information in Help under "Weather File Formats." You can also find a link to a PDF with the weather file format descriptions on the SAM website:

sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications

Best regards,
Paul.

• baboraik
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2020 11:38 #8566 by baboraik
Thank you so much, Paul, for your response, and I will try to learn how to convert them because all my weather data in smw. 

Excuse me  I have also question, If I use SAM-2017, shill I receive reliable results for energy parameters as well as for financial parameters, like in SAM-2020?
 Or there will be a difference in results?

Your answer highly appreciated in advance.

• pgilman
More
13 Aug 2020 22:31 #8578 by pgilman
Hi Abdulrahman,

In general we recommend using the current version of SAM because it includes all of the latest features and bug fixes. You can always use older versions of SAM (they are all available for download on at sam.nrel.gov/download) if you have a reason to use it.

Please see the SAM release notes for information about the different versions (you can also find a link to the release notes on the website Download page and from SAM's Help system):

nrel.github.io/SAM/doc/releasenotes.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman