Simulation freezes with CSP Direct linear fresnel

• Alfred Abukubu
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2020 13:04 - 07 Aug 2020 15:35 #8532 by Alfred Abukubu
Modeling a DSG for non-electrical purposes using once through boiler for saturated steam (no superheater modules). 

I have a system that optimizes steam design parameters ( steam rate, steam temperature etc). Which can be inputted to SAM and estimate potential performance in regards to the solar field steam rate, temperature and efficiencies.

The field is a single loop system with a SM of 0.962, Field thermal output of 7.48005 MWt, Design thermal input power of 7.7778 MWt.

However, I am having issues with the simulation when I make changes to values to mass flow rate and temperature. The simulation seems to run then freezes for certain values of mdot_min and temperature.

Inlet Temp (C)Outlet Temp (C)Single Loop Flow Rate (kg/s)Simulation Process
502540.25Successful (100%)
502542.00Freezes/Hangs (12.3%)
1002542.00Successful (100%)
1002545.00Freezes/Hangs (11.3%)
1003102.00Successful (100%)
1003105.00Freezes/Hangs (2.5%)

Any reason as to what might be the reason or conditions for such response from the simulator.

Thanks
Last edit: 07 Aug 2020 15:35 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
07 Aug 2020 15:38 #8533 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Simulation freezes with CSP Direct linear fresnel
Hi Alfred,

Are you getting these results using the Linear Fresnel Direct Steam model for electricity generation, or from the Linear Fresnel Direct Steam - Heat model for industrial process heat (IPH) applications?

If you are using the former, you might want to try the IPH model instead.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Alfred Abukubu
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2020 18:50 #8534 by Alfred Abukubu
Replied by Alfred Abukubu on topic Simulation freezes with CSP Direct linear fresnel
Hi Paul,
I was using the former, I had tried the IPH model, but the performance in terms of outlet temperature ( which I think is the steam temperature) was not encouraging at all.
And a target outlet temperature can not be entered in SAM  for IPH model to ensure reaching such values.
So tried using the Linear Fresnel Direct Steam model for electricity generation but in a way to kind of bypass or limit power cycle effects. Any thoughts towards such approach would be much appreciated
Regards,
Alfred

• Ty Neises
More
08 Aug 2020 02:35 #8535 by Ty Neises
Hi Alfred,

The IPH Direct Steam model does not have an input for target outlet temperature, but you can implicitly set the outlet temperature by calculating the corresponding saturation pressure and setting "Heat sink inlet pressure" on the System Design page to that value. Will that work for your analysis?

Thanks,

Ty

• Alfred Abukubu
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2020 11:04 #8536 by Alfred Abukubu
Replied by Alfred Abukubu on topic Simulation freezes with CSP Direct linear fresnel
Thanks for your recommendation. It was very helpful
Best Regards,
Alfred

Moderators: Paul Gilman