We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving

• rafaosmari
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2020 17:08 #8522 by rafaosmari
Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving was created by rafaosmari
Hi SAM support team!

Is it possible to find an optimal battery sizing in a Generic System without PV insertion (PV losses = 100%) for a peak shaving application? I know that BLAST-BTM tool does, but it is not so accurate as SAM since it does not consider battery degradation. 

I've been trying to use the REopt API, but I'm getting the following error:

Could not evaluate callback function:call_reopt->on_change[28]: error in call to 'reopt_size_battery()': Must be run from Photovoltaic case with Residential, Commercial, Third Party or Host Developer model.[13]: eval error in statement list

When I try to run from a Photovoltaic case, another error pops up and so on... so, I've decided to ask before inputing all my effort here.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
06 Aug 2020 21:39 #8523 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving
Hi Rafael,

The ReOpt optimization option only works with the PV Battery configurations when battery dispatch is allowed to charge the battery from the grid.

We're looking into the Generic Battery configurations -- we either need to remove the ReOpt option from that configuration, or fix i so it does not display that error message. I'll follow up when that is resolved.

If the optimization is not working for a system with no PV (DC losses set to 100%), you might try running it with a very small PV system to see how well it works under those conditions.

Best regards,
Paul.

• rafaosmari
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2020 22:59 #8530 by rafaosmari
Replied by rafaosmari on topic Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving
Thanks Paul! I'll wait for the follow up :) 

• AHerm
More
11 Dec 2020 16:11 #9100 by AHerm
Replied by AHerm on topic Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving
Hi Paul, 

I was wondering if there are any updates with regard to the REopt sizing and dispatch option for the Generic System in the new release of SAM (2020.11.29)?

I would like to use this module in GUI for standalone battery system, with 'Nominal capacity factor' for Generic Power Plant set to 0% and "Plant cost per capacity" set to 0$/W.

After first try, I received the following error: 

Could not evaluate callback function:call_reopt->on_change
[5]: error: _s
[5]: error: _s
[4]: eval error in statement list

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

• pgilman
More
11 Dec 2020 23:25 #9101 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Optimal battery sizing for peak shaving
Hi Agnes,

That is a bug with the Generic - Battery model: The REopt integration does not work for that model in SAM 2020.11.29. We will address this issue in first update. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/479

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman