We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Error using EPW weather file downloaded from EnergyPlus

• aliyak
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2020 20:10 #8474 by aliyak
Hello! 

I am a international graduate student here in the US and I am trying to simulate in SAM using weather file for Kuwait. The weather file was taken from EnergyPlus and is in EPW format.

Whenever I run the simulation I get this error:
Simulation pvwattsv7 failed :beam irradiance exceeded extraterrestrial value at record [y:1995 m:1 d:24 h:11] 

How can I fix this? 

Thanks! 
Ali 

File Attachment:

File Name: KWT_Kuwait...KISR.epw
File Size:1,729 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
22 Jul 2020 22:18 #8478 by pgilman
Hi Ali,

Those error messages indicate that there is a problem with the direct normal irradiance (DNI, or beam irradiance) data for a few of the 8760 hours in the weather file. It looks like one value is 1,910 W/m2, which is higher than you would expect, and there are several hours with negative DNI values. For example, you can see in this plot (click View data on the Location and Resource page) that there are some negative DNI values on April 25:

You could ignore those errors because the only affect a few hours of the year, or you could try a weather file from a different source like the PVGIS  source listed here: sam.nrel.gov/weather-data.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman