We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Wind speed in wind modeling, PV and CSP plus file converting from PVGIS

• Mona Marilena
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2020 12:22 #8415 by Mona Marilena
Hello,
since I am using SAM's calculations for scientific research I would like to ask three questions:
1. is SAM tranferring the wind speed data to the wind power plant height or should I convert the wind speed to the height before feeding the data into SAM?
2. is the wind speed integrated for calculations of PV and CSP? If yes which formula is used and where (in the matlab or lk script) may I find it?
3. how can I convert the hourly data of PVGIS (csv) into a samcsv file via the file converter if there is an error occurring while doing so even if the csv data looks suitable?
   (error warning: Macro did not finish.
   [829] runtime exception at line 829: array index out of bounds at 1 (length: 1))
Best regards,
Mona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
10 Jul 2020 20:14 #8416 by pgilman
Hi Mona,

1. For the wind power model, SAM uses a wind shear model to calculate the wind speed at hub height given the measurement height of the wind resource data, so you do not need to adjust the wind resource data. For example, if you have wind speed data measured at 100 meters, and the turbine hub height is 110 meters, SAM adjusts the wind speed to 110 meters. Note that SAM only performs the wind shear adjustment when the difference between the measurement height and the hub height is less than 35 meters.

2. SAM's photovoltaic (PV) and concentrating solar power (CSP) models use wind speed data to calculate PV cell temperature and heat losses (CSP). SAM assumes that wind speed data in the solar resource files is measured at 2 meters, near the typical height of ground mounted PV arrays or CSP collectors. The C++ code for these calculations is available in the SAM open source repositories on GitHub: github.com/NREL/SAM.

3. You can find a description of the SAM CSV file format for solar resource data and SRW format for wind resource data in SAM's Help system. We've also posted a PDF version of those descriptions on the SAM website at sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications.

SAM's Solar Resource File Converter macro should convert files in the PVGIS5 format to SAM CSV. If you could post a copy of the file you are trying to convert, I will see if I can see what is causing the error. It is possible that the PVGIS format has changed since we wrote the conversion macro.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Mona Marilena
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2020 21:49 #8417 by Mona Marilena
Thank you very much for your explanations!
Here is e.g. a data file i tried to convert.

Best regards,
Mona

File Attachment:

File Name: Timeseries...2005.csv
File Size:342 KB

• pgilman
More
13 Jul 2020 16:15 #8422 by pgilman
Hi Mona,

Thank you for attaching your file.

This appears to be a time series file from PVGIS V5. This file contains global horizontal irradiance (GHI), ambient dry-bulb temperature, and wind speed. SAM's photovoltaic model requires data for two components of solar radiation (direct normal irradiance, diffuse horizontal irradiance), so the data is not suitable to use with SAM.

The PVGIS website does provide access to solar resource data in the EPW format that can be used directly in SAM without conversion. You can download these from the "TMY" tab on the PVGIS download page by clicking the "EPW" button. (SAM's Solar Resource File Converter macro will convert files you download by clicking the "CSV" button to the SAM CSV format.)

However, these files do contain typical meteorological year (TMY) data rather than data for a particular year. TMY files combine data from months in different years to construct a "typical" file that represents the solar resource over a historical period.

Best regards,
Paul.

• fawe1001
More
29 Jul 2020 18:08 #8497 by fawe1001
Hello Paul,

I'm facing the same issue here.

I want to simulate a CSP plant in a specific year and compare it to real performance Data.

As I understand, I can only get TMY data out of PVGIS. But where can I get the Weather file for a specific year?

Best regards,
Fabian

• pgilman
More
30 Jul 2020 16:45 #8504 by pgilman
Hi Fabian,

The PVGIS APIs do provide data other than the TMY files we mention at sam.nrel.gov/weather-data.

The last time I investigated this, I discovered that the single-year data provided by the PVGIS API does not have all of the required information to create a weather file SAM can use.

For example, hourly radiation data from re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#HR returns hourly data for specific years, but that data only includes meteorological data for wind speed and ambient temperature so it is not suitable for CSP models that require information about atmospheric pressure and humidity. Those files also do not include a time zone, so you have to add that manually or get it from a different API.

A time series request like re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis5/seriescalc.php?lat=-4.441931&lon=15.266293&peakpower=1&loss=0&angle=0&aspect=0&startyear=2007&endyear=2015 returns multiple years of data, but only includes GHI, ambient temperature and wind speed, so it is not suitable for SAM's solar models that require two solar irradiance components. That data also does not return a time zone.

This information is about a year old, so may be out of date. If you discover anything different please let me know.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman