We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Input parameter sources - Installation labor for residential PV systems

• Joachim
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2020 14:37 #8406 by Joachim
Hi,

I would like to calculate the installation of residential PV Systems in different locations (US, Europe, ...). Do you have some information/databases about typical Installation labour cost at different locations?

Also, I noticed that SAM suggests an Installation labour cost of 0.4$/Wdc for residential PV installations. While already in 2017 the NREL report (the U.S. Solar Photovoltaic System Cost Benchmark: Q1 2017) gives a weighted average cost installation of 0.3$/Wdc. Any ideas about why the difference comes from? I would normally expect the cost of installation to drop over time rather than to increase.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
08 Jul 2020 22:48 #8408 by pgilman
Hi Juergen,

The default values in SAM are just a starting point for your analysis. They do not represent current market conditions. We try to choose values that are generally reasonable given the available data at the time of each SAM release, but the default values are not intended to be a reference for cost data.

For a list of some sources of cost data for PV systems, see: sam.nrel.gov/photovoltaic/pv-sub-page-3.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Joachim
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2020 16:03 #8419 by Joachim
Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for letting me know! Definitely makes much more sense. I looked through all of the information (NREL's solar industry update, Tracking the sun and ATB) and I couldn't find any typical rates for installation labour cost rates. Do you have any other idea where I could find them?

P.S. The only note was on the Solar Industry Update which just gave the cost for residential installation of around 2$/W from Sunrun and Vivint which seems way too high compared to previously reported median cost of installation. According to the 2017 NREL report (U.S. Solar Photovoltaic System Cost Benchmark: Q1 2017) which gave median installation cost for residential of <= 1$/W. Do you have any explanation for that?

Hope you have a great weekend,

Juergen

Moderators: pgilman