Download Wind Data In Sam

• admiral
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2020 20:31 - 06 Jul 2020 15:13 #8392 by admiral
Download Wind Data In Sam was created by admiral
hi want to download Wind Data Toolkit in specific location but i see this error:

how can i solve this problem?
Thanks for help.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 15:13 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Jul 2020 15:15 #8397 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Download Wind Data In Sam
Hi Admiral,

Downloads from the WIND Toolkit can be unreliable, so you may need to try a few times to get it to work. I tried this morning and was able to download a file.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Olukunle
More
13 Jul 2020 14:18 #8420 by Olukunle
Replied by Olukunle on topic Download Wind Data In Sam
Hi Paul, I have a similar problem with Wind data download as well. I noticed that the wind data is only available for 2007 - 2014 via the Wind Toolkit. However the NSF project I am working on needs me to model more recent years such as 2018. How can I go about this? Is there a separate database (perhaps not available online) that you can share with me that can help my work. or perhaps there is a contact you can share with me. I am sending an email to the sam team [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] right away to follow up on this question too. 

Another though was to combat this issue using the NSRDB weather files (since this have the more recent weather files). I know the weather files also have wind speeds and other weather information, is this possible for use as input into the wind modeller in SAM for modelling the more recent years?

I will appreciate your response. 

Best regards, 
Olukunle. 

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Jul 2020 15:57 #8421 by Paul Gilman
Hi Olunkule,

I am not aware of another free source of nationwide wind resource data with more recent data than the WIND Toolkit. If you find data from another source, you can use a spreadsheet program or text editor to create files in SAM's SRW format. See SAM's Help system for a description of the format, or download the PDF here: sam.nrel.gov/weather-data/weather-data-publications

You are correct that the solar resource data from the NSRDB include wind speed and other meteorological data, but this data is not suitable for wind power modeling because the wind speed data is not measured at or near typical turbine hub heights. For example, the wind speed data is at 2 meters, the approximate height of a ground-mounted photovoltaic array, but much lower than the typical hub height of a modern wind turbine.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Abbas Badami
More
10 Nov 2022 15:33 #11678 by Abbas Badami
Replied by Abbas Badami on topic Download Wind Data In Sam
Hi Paul,

As you mentioned, weather data from NSRDB is not suitable for wind modelling because wind measurement is at 2m and not hub height.
Can you please suggest any source of historical wind speed and related data available for Canada?
Thank you

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Nov 2022 23:09 #11685 by Paul Gilman
Hi Abbas,

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a source of free time series wind resource data other than the NREL WIND Toolkit data. There may be some data available from research institutions, universities, or other organizations. If you do find a source of data, please share it here so others can make use of it.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman