hybrid plant CSP and PV

• jabbour
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2020 17:08 #8209 by jabbour
hybrid plant CSP and PV was created by jabbour
Hi, 
I used SAM to make a simulation of two power plants a PV plant with 100MW and another CSP plant with 100MW too, to have a hybrid system of 100MW, the PV works during the day and the CSP works to complete the difference not produced by the PV , and stock at the same time to generate the 100MW when the PV no longer works. I combine them with the option `` combine cases '', the problem is that I got a production with peaks (up to 200MW) in the hours from 2 p.m until 6 p.m, even if I have well do the energy distribution as needed in the storage part `` system control '', in fact I still use the 2018 version, is that why I got this error? otherwise I want a constant 100MW output for the whole day. where do you think this problem comes from?
I leave you my SAM file in attachment.

thank you for the help.

best regards  

File Attachment:

File Name: syshybrid.sam
File Size:319 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 May 2020 23:39 - 18 May 2023 15:32 #8212 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic hybrid plant CSP and PV
Hi Jabbour,

When you use the Combine Cases macro, SAM simply adds the output of two separate systems together and uses that "combined" output as the generation profile for the financial cash flow model. It is not possible to model a CSP system that dispatches power in response to the output of a PV system. In your case, if there are times when both the PV and CSP systems are operating at full capacity, the combined output will be the sum of output of the two systems.

UPDATE: As of SAM 2021.12.02, the Combine Cases macro is replaced by the Calculate generation profiles and nameplate capacity from open cases option on the Power Plant page for the Generic System model and Generic Battery model. See the SAM YouTube channel for a short tutorial .

There are some problems with the Combine Systems macro that we are fixing. Thank you for including your file.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 18 May 2023 15:32 by Paul Gilman.

• vermapawan06
More
10 Jun 2020 07:56 #8293 by vermapawan06
Replied by vermapawan06 on topic hybrid plant CSP and PV
Dear Paul,
I am Pawan, and we are also facing the same problem while using Macro,kindly help us to resolve this issue.
Thanks
Pawan

• Paul Gilman
More
10 Jun 2020 15:59 #8294 by Paul Gilman
Hi Pawan,

The macro should be working as of SAM 2020.2.29 Revision 2.  The macro is still designed to add up the hourly generation of each system to calculate the system's generation profile over the year, so it cannot dispatch one system based on the output of another. For example, it cannot dispatch the CSP system to respond to the output of the PV system.

If you are having a different problem with the macro, describe the problem so we can fix it.

Bes

• Mona Münzel
More
24 Aug 2020 14:46 #8620 by Mona Münzel
Replied by Mona Münzel on topic hybrid plant CSP and PV
Hello, 
I am having problems combining a hybrid PV and CSP system with the macro "combine cases". The macro chooses the right files (including the generic system) but is not able to finish the process. I tried different performance models in different combinations but always the same error occurred. Is there something specific to pay attention at besides giving the macro the right input files?
Best regards,
Mona.

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Aug 2020 16:37 #8628 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mona,

Before running the Combine Cases macro, run a simulation for each case separately to make sure there are not any problems with their configuration that are causing simulation errors.

If that does not help you identify the cause of the error, please reply with a .sam file attachment that demonstrates this behavior.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman