Output convective losses in CSP project

• vmpakirtzoglou
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2011 09:41 #100 by vmpakirtzoglou
Output convective losses in CSP project was created by vmpakirtzoglou
Hi.

I am using SAM 2011.12.2 and I have created a CSP project with Parabolic Trough (physical) and the simulation works fine.

However, I would like to know if there is a way to output the hourly data on the convective losses from the outer glass of the envelope to ambient (perhaps employing user variables?). Alternativelly, if this cannot be output, is there a way to get the hourly temperature of the outer surface of the receiver?

Moreover, the variable "Receiver Thermal Losses" (MWh, hourly) indicated by SAM Support team, counts for both convective and radiation losses.

Could we split or isolate somehow the convective losses?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
13 Dec 2011 21:02 #101 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Output convective losses in CSP project
SAM's physical trough model does not report either the receiver convective losses or the receiver outer surface temperature in the results.

The receiver loss calculations are described in Section 2.4 of the physical trough reference manual, which you can download from the Reference Manuals page of this website (see the link under the Resources menu).

Best regards,
Paul.

• iskias
More
13 Dec 2011 22:11 #102 by iskias
Replied by iskias on topic Output convective losses in CSP project
I was wondering if there are any plans to include such output values in a future version of SAM. The T2-T5 temperatures (ref. to the thermal model of the receiver), for example, would provide an insight of the receiver performance, whereas the receiver convenctive losses would be useful for assessing the effects of a CSP to the microclimate of the installation area.

Thanks again.

• pgilman
More
14 Dec 2011 18:02 #103 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Output convective losses in CSP project
We currently have no plans to report the receiver temperatures or convective losses in SAM results. The code does not calculate these values in a way that makes it straightforward to report in results.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman