User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner

• Matias D. Castro Q.
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2020 23:04 - 07 Apr 2020 18:12 #8107 by Matias D. Castro Q.
User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner was created by Matias D. Castro Q.
Hi,
I was diving in SAM, and in the section of User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner I have some doubt.
1. In the 2020 version this alternative don't work (I already sent a message about that, but which is unpublished yet).
2. In the 2017.9.5 version, the table appears to have wrong the dimension units of viscosity.  That may me get confused to know which value need I to put on it. 

Regards,
Matías D. Castro Q.-
//
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 18:12 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
07 Apr 2020 18:13 #8109 by Paul Gilman
Hi Matias,

Thank you for pointing out these issues. We are investigating and I will follow up when we have resolved them.

Best regards,
Paul.

• pacomunuera@gmail.com
More
23 May 2020 15:52 #8231 by pacomunuera@gmail.com
Replied by pacomunuera@gmail.com on topic User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner
Hello Mr. Gilman,
I've got the a similar error and I couldn't find an answer in the SAM's help.  I'm using Version 2020.2.29, 64 bit, updated to revision 1 to simulate a Parabolic Trough empirical project. It works fine when I select Therminol VP-1. When I change to "User-defined" fluid, the simulation runs without errors but  solarfield massflow is always 0, NaN or inf.
I've thougt It could be an issue with units in my fluid-table,  but after some changes the result remains the same. Finally, I've  created a new table for Therminol VP-1 but it fails too.
I know you are working on it, I just write to inform that it affects to  Parabolic Trough projects too.

Thank you very much.

• Matias D. Castro Q.
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2020 23:09 #8234 by Matias D. Castro Q.
Replied by Matias D. Castro Q. on topic User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner
Hi Paco,I ended by using the 2018 version for some other reasons. Nevertheless, about the issue of the user-defined HTF, after updating to the last version of SAM 2020 it works. The thing is that you must upload the HTF data before selecting "User-defined" as HTF type.I hope may help you.Regards,
Matías

• Paul Gilman
More
26 May 2020 20:39 #8237 by Paul Gilman
Custom heat transfer fluids (HTF) do not work for the Empirical Trough model. We have removed the option as of SAM 2020.2.29 Revision 2 as described in this issue on the GitHub SAM repository:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/316

Custom HTFs are available with the Physical Trough model.

Best regards,
Paul.

• pacomunuera@gmail.com
More
27 May 2020 21:36 #8240 by pacomunuera@gmail.com
Replied by pacomunuera@gmail.com on topic User-defined HTF type in the Tower (salt) Single Owner
Thanks Matias for your help.  It seems that it doesn't work any more for empirial model of a  PTC. I will  take a look to older versions of SAM as you recommended.

BR,

Paco Munuera.

Moderators: Paul Gilman