We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

How to design Stand-Alone PV system in SAM

• zarak123
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2020 22:12 #8026 by zarak123
Hello,

I would like to thank you for creating this platform for SAM queries, these are very helpful.

I am having difficulty with designing a stand-alone PV system without a grid. Is there a way to turn off "Electricity supplied to/from the grid" in SAM to only isolate your PV system. As you can see in the graph attached, our system is supplying electricity to the grid (green plot), although the load (orange plot) is not being satisfied. Is there a way to turn off the "Electricity Supplied to the grid"?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
13 Mar 2020 15:56 #8034 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How to design Stand-Alone PV system in SAM
Dear Zarak,

SAM's photovoltaic models assume that the PV system is connected to the grid so that PV power in excess of the load goes to the grid, and load in excess of PV power is met by the grid. You can try to design a system to minimize power to/from the grid, but there is not a way to completely eliminate it. For example, SAM will use grid power to meet the inverter night-time consumption.

The graph is a little hard to read, so I can't tell exactly what is happening. Sometimes it's easier to tell what is going on by looking at the data tables, or displaying the graph in "Stepped lines" mode.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman