We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Battery Cost

• caro213
  • Topic Author
More
12 Feb 2020 17:33 #7974 by caro213
Battery Cost was created by caro213
Hi, 

I have read in past forum posts that the cost of most batteries is found on $/kWh basis. However, I am referencing a 2018 study done by  NREL  titled "Identifying Critical Factors in the Cost-effectiveness of Solar and Battery Storage in Commercial Buildings", and they but their cost points in both a $/kWh and $/kW. I am trying to use these figures as a reliable cost point for a commercial system I am trying to analyze, and I am wondering if I should be using just the $/kWh input, just the $/kW, or both. I have also found that  Lazard  publishes numbers on a $/kWh and $/kW and I still have the question whether or not I should be using just one or both of these numbers. 

In addition, are these numbers in the proper range? I am concerned about the discrepancy. 
Mid-Cost Point NREL numbers: 
  • $290 / kWh
  • $1,062 / kW
Lazard numbers (for Lithium-Ion, standalone pg. 29) 
  • $335-580 / kWh DC
  • $158-254 / kW AC
Thank you in advance for you help. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
24 Feb 2020 23:24 #8001 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Battery Cost
Hi Caroline,

See the discussion at the end of Section 2, "Methods" in Cole (2019) "Cost Projections for Utility-Scale Battery Storage" for some insight into the reasons for expressing battery costs in $/kWh vs $/kW. That is available as a PDF here:

www.nrel.gov/docs/fy19osti/73222.pdf

For SAM's default costs, we mostly use data from the NREL Annual Technology Baseline at atb.nrel.gov/. The battery costs are at atb.nrel.gov/electricity/2019/index.html?t=st. Note that SAM's default costs are for a complete installed system, so they account for more than just the purchase price of the equipment. (And, as always, SAM's default costs are intended as a reasonable starting point for your analysis rather than as a reference for the current state of the market.)

SAM allows you to enter the battery cost in $/kWh, which scales with the rated storage duration (rated kWh capacity / rated kW maximum discharge rate = rated hours of storage), and $/kW, which scales with the battery's rated maximum discharge rate, so you can use either method for your analysis in SAM.

The market for batteries is rapidly evolving, so the costs in these published reports are likely to vary from each other and to change as new versions are published over the near term.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman