We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

SAM Battery Cost

• frohro
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2020 06:41 #7914 by frohro
SAM Battery Cost was created by frohro
Hi Paul,
The SAM battery cost is confusing to me, because when I buy a battery, I pay one price.  That battery has a certain power capability and a certain energy storage capability, but one price.  There seems to be nothing in the help about the battery pack costs, so this is still puzzling me.   Can you help me understand what was meant there?  Maybe the docs need clarification too.
Thanks,
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
30 Jan 2020 00:56 #7921 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic SAM Battery Cost
Hi Rob,

Most battery vendors and battery cost studies express costs in $/kWh of battery capacity, so you should use that input to specify the battery cost.

We included the $/kW  category in case you also wanted to account for the maximum charge/discharge rate rating as well. That is a less conventional way to express the cost, but we included it in response to a user's request.

The total battery cost is $/kWh * battery capacity + $/kW * maximum discharge power.

I will revise the documentation to try to explain that more clearly. We have also been considering removing the $/kW option to avoid this kind of confusion.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman