We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

PV DC output

• nkabouche
  • Topic Author
More
26 Dec 2019 13:45 #7851 by nkabouche
PV DC output was created by nkabouche
Hi,

I wanted to study the importance of sun trackers so 
-I took an Algerian site with its data;
-Detaieled PV and non financial model;
-in system design I used all the 5 possible cases: 1-axis, fixed....;

However I got some strange results:
In fact DC PV output power doesn't follow the solar irradiation on POA
I can explain that in summer temperature reduces the output power.
ex:
Dry Temp (°C)GHI(kW/m2)2-axis Power (kW)
Do you have any explanation of that results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
06 Jan 2020 17:39 #7855 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV DC output
Hello,

It is hard to tell what might cause that without seeing your file. Here are some possible explanations:

1. Inverter clipping: If the nominal array voltage at maximum power (Vmp) is high compared to the inverter maximum MPPT voltage, the inverter may be clipping the array voltage to the MPPT limit during periods of high POA irradiance. Clipping reduces the power output of the array.

2. Inverter power limiting: If the DC-to-AC ratio (array nameplate DC capacity to inverter nameplate AC capacity) is high, the inverter may be limiting the output of the system to the inverter's rated AC capacity during periods of high POA irradiance.

3. Shading by nearby objects or soiling. If you include shading and soiling in your analysis, these will reduce the system's output.

4. Self-shading for fixed and one-axis tracking: Depending on the ground coverage ratio (GCR) and the shading option you choose, shading of modules in neighboring rows could cause a reduction in the system output.

You can use the diagram on the Losses tab of the Results page to investigate these possible causes.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nkabouche
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2020 09:04 #7863 by nkabouche
Replied by nkabouche on topic PV DC output
Thank you sir,
I do not want to use Inverters, is it possible in SAM, if so how to skip the inverter section
In fact, I'd like to use only the DC output power, my load needs only DC.

• nkabouche
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2020 09:47 #7864 by nkabouche
Replied by nkabouche on topic PV DC output
Hi,
I have used one PV module: Hyundai Heavy Industries HiS-M228MG

• pgilman
More
07 Jan 2020 21:42 #7865 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV DC output
SAM's photovoltaic models assume that the photovoltaic array is connected to an inverter, and that the inverter and load (for Residential and Commercial financial models) are connected to the grid.

The Detailed Photovoltaic model reports "Array DC power (kW)" and PVWatts reports "DC array power (W)" in the time series results that you can use if all you need is the DC power.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman