Dispatch Control Philosophy-CSP physical model

• Krishnakumar
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2019 06:33 #7821 by Krishnakumar
Dear Team,

I have two queries in the Thermal Energy Storage (TES) FRO CSP physical model.

1. In our simulation, it is seen that the energy generation exceeds the maximum turbine output for the period of maximum three months in a year. In this regard, Thermal Energy Storage (TES) is helping us only during these 3 months. However in the remaining months, heat loss from the storage tanks is reducing the energy generation. In these months, energy generation is about 25-50% of the maximum turbine output

In this regard, is it possible to isolate the TES from rest of the system during energy generation is about 25-50% of the maximum turbine output.  How this possible in SAM.

2. For Storage Dispatch control, we have kept the following for the period of three months - energy generation exceeds the maximum turbine
Storage w/ solar: 1
Storage w/o solar: 1
Turbine output fraction: 1

For rest of the months, we have kept Storage Dispatch control as

Storage w/ solar: 0
Storage w/o solar: 0
Turbine output fraction: 1

Whether our approach is right?

Regards,
Krishnakumar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Dec 2019 18:06 #7824 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Dispatch Control Philosophy-CSP physical model
Dear Krishnakumar,

1. It is not possible to isolate the TES from the rest of the system. SAM will always attempt to dispatch TES energy according to the dispatch control schedules.

2. From your screenshots, it looks like there are effectively two dispatch control periods, so you do not need to define seven different periods. You could use just two periods one for the summer daytime (assuming a northern latitude), and the other for the rest of the year. Period 7 in the screenshot covers four months, not the three months you mention in your question.

Here is the description of the storage dispatch fractions from Help:

Storage Dispatch Fraction with Solar
The fraction of the TES maximum storage capacity indicating the minimum level of charge that the storage system can discharge to while the solar field is producing power. A value of zero will always dispatch the TES in any hour assigned to the given dispatch period; a value of one will never dispatch the TES. Used to calculate the storage dispatch levels.

Storage Dispatch Fraction without Solar
The fraction of the TES maximum storage capacity indicating the minimum level of charge that the storage system can discharge to while no solar resource is available. A value of zero will always dispatch the TES in any hour assigned to the given dispatch period; a value of one will never dispatch the TES. Used to calculate the storage dispatch levels.

Best regards,
Paul.

• V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla
More
20 Nov 2020 21:08 #9019 by V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla
Replied by V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla on topic Dispatch Control Philosophy-CSP physical model
Dear Team 
I have a small Query, How to add the dispatch and storage time in system control for linear fresnel CSP. My storage time should be 10 hrs and dispatch should be in the night. 
How do I configure this ?

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Nov 2020 05:07 #9021 by Paul Gilman
Hello,

For the Molten Salt Linear Fresnel model, you can use the DIspatch Control inputs on the Thermal Storage page to determine how the model operates the storage system. See the Help topic for that page for details.

Thermal energy storage is not available for the Direct Steam Linear Fresnel model.

Best regards,
Paul.

• V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla
More
21 Nov 2020 06:54 #9023 by V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla
Replied by V Sai Sri Harsha Medicharla on topic Dispatch Control Philosophy-CSP physical model
Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me where I can find the Help topic for CSP Linear Fresnel(Molten Salt)?

Regards
Harsha 

• Paul Gilman
More
30 Nov 2020 20:56 #9035 by Paul Gilman
Hi Harsha,

You can click the Help button at the top right corner of the SAM window, or you can press the F1 key (or control-? on a Mac) to open the Help system.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman