Combine cases with battery

• Lea Kornbeck Askholm
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2019 06:58 - 25 Sep 2019 06:57 #7669 by Lea Kornbeck Askholm
Combine cases with battery was created by Lea Kornbeck Askholm
Hi,
When I combine cases where one or more of them contains a battery, I can't find any informations about the power flow/energy flow to/from the battery. Neither information about production from each energy source. Is that not available?
Is the battery in use in this combined case? (when looking at battery average roundtrip efficiency it says 0%).
If yes, wich dispatch model is used when having two cases with batteries? And how can I get informations about how the battery is used and its degradation?
If I have a case with PV and battery and another case with wind, will the production from the wind turbine be stored on the battery as the PV production does?

Regards, 
Lea 
Last edit: 25 Sep 2019 06:57 by Lea Kornbeck Askholm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
24 Sep 2019 16:23 - 18 May 2023 15:33 #7671 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Combine cases with battery
Hi Lea,

The Combine Cases macro models each case separately. If one case is PV-battery and the other is Wind, the output of the system will be the sum of hourly output of the two systems. Power from the Wind case cannot be used by the PV-battery case because they are two separate simulations.

The Combine Cases macro simply adds the hourly production from all of the cases you combine, and uses that generation profile as input to the Generic System case that represents the project's financial structure.

UPDATE: As of SAM 2021.12.02, the Combine Cases macro is replaced by the Calculate generation profiles and nameplate capacity from open cases option on the Power Plant page for the Generic System model and Generic Battery model. See the SAM YouTube channel for a short tutorial .

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 18 May 2023 15:33 by Paul Gilman.

• Lea Kornbeck Askholm
  • Topic Author
More
25 Sep 2019 07:05 #7675 by Lea Kornbeck Askholm
Replied by Lea Kornbeck Askholm on topic Combine cases with battery
Hi Paul
Thank you for your reply, it makes sense. It would though be a very nice feature in the future, so it would be possible to simulate more complex energy systems. 

I have another question regarding subarrays:
It is possible to set the number of inverters, but is it possible to chose how the system is configured?
In my case I have four different subarrays and three inverters, because two of the subarrays are connected to the same inverter. Is that possible to configure?
Is it only possible to have one type of inverter? And should it either be one inverter for all subarrays or one for each (or how they are distributed if there are more than one)?

Regards,
Lea

• Paul Gilman
More
25 Sep 2019 17:56 #7678 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Combine cases with battery
Hi Lea,

SAM does support inverters with up to four inputs, but for now it can only model a system with one multiple-input inverter. You can connect more than one subarray to the same inverter input, so you could have a system with three subarrays with a two-input inverter, for example.

SAM can only model a system with one type of inverter, and one type of module.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman