We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Thermal energy absorbed and Solar field thermal output

• pgilman
More
27 Feb 2013 17:18 #901 by pgilman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alsam
More
06 Mar 2016 00:55 #902 by alsam
Dear Paul,

I am using the SAM 2015.6.30 Version for the simulation of a parabolic trough solar plant.

I would like to know, what does the "Field HTF energy inertia (consumed) (MWh)" represent?

Does it account for the thermal energy that is consumed during the heating up of the pipes and the HTF to the working temperature (thermal capacity of the header/runner pipes and fluid) or only for the heat capacity of the fluid?
Is the field thermal power produced calculated according to the following formula?:

Field thermal power produced=Incident solar energy*optical efficiency-Receiver heat losses- Header pipe heat losses-HTF energy inertia

Best regards,
Alex

• pgilman
More
07 Mar 2016 16:47 #903 by pgilman
Dear Alex,
Please see Section 2.1.1 of Wagner (2011) listed under "Physical Trough Model" on the Performance Model Documentation page of this website:
sam.nrel.gov/performance
Best regards,

Paul.

• alsam
More
07 Mar 2016 17:25 #904 by alsam
Dear Paul,

thanks for the reply. I have already read this section in the manual and as I unsterstand, the field HTF energy inertia accounts not only for HTF thermal intertia but also for the piping components inertia. Am I right?

Nevertheless, I still doubt, whether the field thermal power produced is calculated according to the equation that I write above or according to the classic formula Q=m*Cp*(Tsys,h-Tsf,in).

Best regards,
Alex

• alsam
More
10 Mar 2016 19:14 #905 by alsam
Dear Paul,

excuse me for sending to you again. But I would need an answer as soon as possible about my question regarding the Field HTF thermal inertia, that I asked above, because I write a master's thesis and it is important for me.

What does it really represent? Does it account only for HTF thermal intertia or also for the piping components inertia? It is not so clear for me..
And so the field thermal power output is: Absorbed energy-Field HTF thermal inertial?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Alex

• Allana
More
26 Sep 2017 13:30 #906 by Allana
Dear Paul,

I am reading the Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model and can not find out how the solar irradiance relates to the net output electrical power. The differential equations of internal energy are based on the change of temperature with time. Where do I find the relationship of solar irradiance with temperature or internal energy?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Allana.

Moderators: pgilman